Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anyone have the RCA 27" F27650?

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 09-30-02, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm looking to buy a new TV and I don't have a lot to spend, but I want to get something nice. I was looking around online and I found a nice RCA 27" with lots of features:

3 line digital comb filter
Auto Volume control
Universal remote
3 A/V ports
1 S video
1 component
Channel Labels
Guide Plus Gold
Commercial Skip
One touch VCR record
and VPORT

It goes for about $300.00 (at circuit city) and for it's price seems a lot nicer than the competition. Anyone have this TV or experience with RCA? Are they pretty reliable?

Thanks.
Old 10-01-02, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well no one answered me, so I based my opinions on it from the few reviews I found on yahoo and amazon and by looking at it at Circuit City. It looks like a nice set for the price ($300) and the fact that it has 3 AV /1 S video/ and 1 Component port seems worth it. Plus the features seemed nice -- like Commercial skip, channel labels, Guide Plus, etc.

So I went ahead and bought it.
Old 10-01-02, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know a couple of years ago RCA was not so great quality wise as far as AV equipment went. My parents had an RCA TV when I was growing up, and the picture quality on it was really poor. They didn't mind, but I did, and even with fiddling and adjusting I couldn't ever get it to look good. That was in the late 80's though, so like I said, that was many moons ago. RCA currently kind of seems to be Radio Shack's "brand" which makes my hackles still rise personally, but I think part of that is their (Radio Shack's) commercials. I don't have any current experience with their TV's, but my girlfriend bought an RCA bookshelf stereo system and it has been (for the most part) problem free. There are some build quality issues I have with it, but it fit her main criteria, which were "cheap" and "loud". There was a problem with the speakers crackling but I tracked that down to cheap wiring and we resolved the problem. Since then it has been fine. I must say this though, I heard a comedy routine which has stuck with me through the years. It went something like "Do you know what RCA stands for? 'Really Crappy Appliance'!" So I guess my opinion is still a little biased against them.

Was the RCA TV Flat Screen or Curved? I am just asking because that does seem a little high for a curved screen and VERY low for a flat screen. Does the TV have Anamorphic squeeze? I don't know if this is a TV that you are looking to use most for watching DVD's in 16x9 mode, but if it is, then that might be a nice feature to look into getting. I know you already bought it, but you might want to look at some of the threads that have come through here about the Akai (which is a rebadged Samsung DynaFlat) and is available through Sam's Club. It runs around $350 and has comparable feature set to what you outlined plus it is a flat screen (if the RCA is not) and offers anamorphic squeeze (if the RCA does not) and several of the members of this forum have been rather thrilled with it.

One more thing. Sometimes people do have other things to do rather then just check the forum all day so you may want to give them more then a day to answer your questions...