DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Got HDTV Cable Box (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/239837-got-hdtv-cable-box.html)

Msnowdon 09-27-02 08:37 PM

Got HDTV Cable Box

I live in Huntington Beach, CA and got the Time Warner Cable box that allows me to watch 6 or 7 channels in HDTV, got is it great.

Using a Sony 36" Wega XBR

Icculus 09-27-02 08:40 PM

God I hate AT&T :mad:

I called them and asked if they were ever planning on offering HD cable and they told me they already do.... digital is the same as high definition :rolleyes:. When I tried to explain there was a difference the woman on the phone hung up on me.

Travis Bickle 10-12-02 04:50 PM

I got mine today, and it looks great. One problem - it will not allow me to zoom to do away with black bars on non 16x9 programming.

Are there any solutions for this?

PlumPeach 10-12-02 05:32 PM

Is the Time Warner HD box free or is there a monthly charge? My cable company (Cox Cable) wants $399 for the box, and there is not a box available on a per month charge basis.

Corky Roxbury 10-12-02 08:57 PM

to msnowdon: my question is similar to plumPeach's is the box free, and also all you have to do is hook this up through the component cables and do they charge for the hdtv programming. Plus then what is the difference between over the air hdtv box and the one from cable I guess I am asking like do you only get certain channels from each box so if you have two boxes( cable and oTA) you would get more HDTV channels

omi 10-14-02 08:37 AM

Re: Got HDTV Cable Box

Originally posted by Msnowdon
I live in Huntington Beach, CA and got the Time Warner Cable box that allows me to watch 6 or 7 channels in HDTV, got is it great.

Using a Sony 36" Wega XBR

Awesome! I'll be picking mine up later this week too. I was wondering, are the non-HDTV channels in digital? Also, can I still view the 6-7 channels in the non-HDTV format as well as in HDTV? I mean, are there still channels reserved for them?

skinsfan 10-14-02 11:05 AM

In NYC, if you have digital cable and have enough service, the box is free. It gives you about 8 stations, where the over the air box gives you one (WTC was a big setback)

Travis Bickle 10-14-02 08:39 PM

In Tampa, it's free. There are only 4 HD channels currently available through Time Warner:
ABC
Fox
HBO
Showtime

You have to be paying for HBO and Showtime to receive their respective HD counterpart. So far, I've watched some sports - Baseball and Football, and The Sopranos. I would've watched Alias (actually 16x9 formatted), but it's on the same time as the Sopranos. The quality is pretty sharp, but not nearly as sharp as what I've seen available through DSS.

Now, if only our CBS and NBC affiliates will get off their arses and get a HD feed to Time Warner!!!

omi 10-15-02 08:50 AM

Ok, I just hooked up the cable box to my 720 and the picture is quite good. Especially the PBS demo loop channel. CBS was second best, and then NBC and ABC. HBO-HD & Show-HD also looked detailed, but didn't have time to watch a lot.

Can't wait for more HD channels to be added! :)

goLUCKY 10-15-02 02:48 PM

I have the HD cable box (which was free with service) from Time Warner. I only get HBO and Showtime in HiDef. HBO = The Sapronos and Band of Brothers in HD. oh Yeah it is very sweet! I really would like to see the Superbowl in HD this year, but so far no Network HD channels in Austin. :(

huzefa 10-15-02 11:30 PM

Are these HD channels, or just Digital channels? I don't think ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC are broadcasting in HD all the time; just some of the time. The rest of the time, they are just in digital mode (still very good PQ though), but not HD.

omi 10-16-02 08:54 AM

Originally posted by huzefa
Are these HD channels, or just Digital channels? I don't think ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC are broadcasting in HD all the time; just some of the time. The rest of the time, they are just in digital mode (still very good PQ though), but not HD.
Your right, CBS, ABC, NBC, and FOX are broadcasting some shows in HD during the evening hours. I was watching the pilot episode of 'John Doe' last night on FOX. Looked very good.

Seezar 10-19-02 12:53 AM

I got mine today, and it looks great. One problem - it will not allow me to zoom to do away with black bars on non 16x9 programming.
the solution is to watch regular programming from another output of the digital cable box. If you use the component out everthing is upconverted to 1080i. Use either the s-video, coax, or composite for non-HD and then you can use the zoom function on the TV to stretch the picture to get rid of the side bars.

Msnowdon 10-19-02 12:49 PM

TWC didn't charge, and the HD channels are differn't then the regular channels.

Michael

Geofferson 10-19-02 11:16 PM

I too have a TWC HD box and get the following channels in HD:

HBO
Showtime
CBS
Fox