DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

RPTV Burn-In Solution!?

Old 09-26-02, 02:35 PM

RPTV Burn-In Solution!?

OK now that I got your attention, I have a question and an idea. We know that black or grey bar burn occurs due to the constant unchanged image being displayed for extended periods on the screen. Some people have reported this occurring in as little as 1 month. Why can manufacturers have the bar constantly transition from say medium grey to black? At slow enough rate it may be somewhat unnoticeable to the viewer and may be enough continued change to prevent burn-in. I have read a lot on this topic because I am considering a RPTV purchase but I never heard of this idea. Any thoughts?
Old 09-26-02, 02:50 PM

It would not work. Videophiles would never use it because gray bars increase the perceived black levels. Joe-six-pack would never use it because he'd never know how to turn it on. If he could actually figure it out, he'd also know how to take the RPTV off of torch mode, which would already drastically reduce burn in.
Old 09-26-02, 02:55 PM
X
Administrator

An interesting method that some manufacturers use is moving the picture, shifting it around tiny bits at a time.

It's not the constant unchanged image that burns in if it's a black bar, it's the lack of normal-use burn-in in that area that might show. Why not just have it grey which is sort an average of the picture intensity that would be there? If you go to black you're not helping wear the screen evenly. The grey is distracting, but probably not as much as having it fade in and out too.

So how about just keeping the grey and covering it with some black material so you don't have to see it?
Old 09-26-02, 04:53 PM

I hope you can follow me on this, but how about showing the 4:3 image at normal viewing mode (so that it's streched and covers the entire area) and then show the corrected 4:3 image on top of that, but keeping the streched image slightly duller.

Too explain again :-P , instead of having just the grey bars on either side, show the streched version in the grey areas (but dull the image down a bit). Or would that be too annoying? I don't know, I think it's kind of annoying when there's a dark scene and the grey bars look so bright.

I've posted a visual example:
http://MARKSDOT.COM/rptv/
Old 09-27-02, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by DarthMarklar
I hope you can follow me on this, but how about showing the 4:3 image at normal viewing mode (so that it's streched and covers the entire area) and then show the corrected 4:3 image on top of that, but keeping the streched image slightly duller.

Too explain again :-P , instead of having just the grey bars on either side, show the streched version in the grey areas (but dull the image down a bit). Or would that be too annoying? I don't know, I think it's kind of annoying when there's a dark scene and the grey bars look so bright.

I've posted a visual example:
http://MARKSDOT.COM/rptv/
Which brand of TV would let you do that? I have a Panasonic, and I can't find that feature. Please pardon my ignorance.
Old 09-27-02, 08:53 PM

Darth, I think your idea might be too distracting.
Old 09-28-02, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by egbok
Which brand of TV would let you do that? I have a Panasonic, and I can't find that feature. Please pardon my ignorance.
No tv does that, I was just making a suggestion, but it probably would be too distracting