DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need help on setting up home theater in my new house!

Old 09-25-02, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Need help on setting up home theater in my new house!

I have a HUGE dilemma here. We just got married and a new house (not new but new to us). My home theater is all in boxes right now. The way my living room is laid out is that it has an opening to the dining room on one of the side walls. How do I go about running my speaker wires to the rears without making it look cheesy and such? We have relatively new carpet and I don't want to jack it all up. I'm sure someone has run into this before and can help me out. Much appreciated because I'm in major depression without my HT and DVD's!!
Old 09-25-02, 09:53 AM

I would assume 4 options. 1) Down below the floor, 2) along the floorboards and under the carpet at the dining room, 3) surface mount along the ceiling/wall, and 4) above the ceiling.

1 & 4 are best if you have access, since you have the opening to deal with. Otherwise you're stuck with poking holes in the carpet, or having surface mount on the ceiling. Unless you go wireless, which I doubt you want, or other goofy contraptions like going through power wires.
Old 09-25-02, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How the heck would I mount them to the ceiling/wall? Wouldn't you see the wires?? And down below the floor.. Do you mean if I have access to that room from the basement? Unfortunately I don't think I do. The finished part of my basement is drywalled ceilings

If I happen to do the carpet... How do I go about running it under it. This is fairly new carpet and I definately don't want to jack it all up. Thanks for the reply Senor Taco!!
Old 09-25-02, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

the carpet is held down with tack strips that are around 1/2 away from the wall. So there is a gap between the wall and the tack strip. The carped is "kicked" under the base board in this gap. With a screw driver and alot of pacience you can peal back the carpet without pulling off the tack strip and run the wire to below where the rears are.

Now this is hit and miss but in most cases you can drill a hole behind the speaker and another directly below the speaker at the floor. Take a string and tie a nut, chain (or other metal object) to it. Fish it down the upper hole then take a magnet and fish for the nut from the bottom hole. Then tie the string to the wire and pull it up.
Old 09-25-02, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

bfrank.. your first part sounds good... I can do that around until the opening in my wall.. What then?

And what do you mean by "drill a hole behind the speaker and another directly below the speaker at the floor"? I don't have floor speakers they are PolkR10's.

Thanks!!