Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Suggestions and Major help for audio setup for my ps2/dvd player!

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 09-24-02, 03:20 PM

Sorry for repeat threads such as this one. I know this kind of thread has been on here many times. But all I have for my audio is my stereo tv. And the only dvd player I have at the moment is my PS2. Well I was wondering what is a good audio setup to get. My tv has component and Svideo. But i didn't know if the right cables can be put into the PS2. I want to spend no more than 250-300 bucks, please help me out and give me some suggestions. Thanks,

jason.
Old 09-24-02, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

$250-300 isn't much to buy a surround system with. An entry level DD 5.1/DTS receiver is going to be at least $200, 5 non crappy speakers and a sub at least another $350-450, and even then it's bargain basement.

My advice is save up another $200 so you've got about $500 total and buy a HTIB for that price. There are some decent ones to be had for that money, assuming you don't want to be upgrading the equipment in the future.
Old 09-24-02, 10:42 PM

dang..that's a bunch of cash...so then it would hook up with the ps2 though?
Old 09-24-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Your PS2 is just an audio source. It would work with anything from a $50 boombox to a $20,000 surround sound system. And your price range is quite low. At around $700 your options become a lot better.

Consider building your sound system piecemeal. Buy a receiver for $250 now. Then add new speakers as you can afford them.
Old 09-25-02, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you could get your hands on another $50 to $100 you could get the home theater direct level 1 speaker set ($149 + $15) shipping and the Onkyo TXSR500 ($299 list but you could find it for less with some shopping around). It's not the best ever but I don't think you'll do any better for around $300 or $400. You couls also check out used stuff, check the for sale forum at hometheaterforum.com, sometimes there's some really good deals there.
Old 09-25-02, 10:12 AM

alright...I actually have well over a thousand bucks...but I'm in college and kinda need to save a lot of it....
thanks for all the help...
Jason.
Old 09-25-02, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can get a home theater in a box for around $300-$400. I know stores like Rex carries them (they may not have those where you are). Make sure whatever receiver you get takes s-video... the original one I got in my first setup (a HTIB) didn't, so video setup was pretty challenging.

I'd recommend saving up, buying a good receiver, then adding in the speakers as you go (left and right first, then center, then sub, then rears).