DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Avia home theater setup disc

Old 09-20-02, 07:42 AM
Cool New Member

Avia home theater setup disc

Hey all,
quick question to any who have used this disc. I'm thinking about buying the Akai 27 in flatscreen and from the research I've done it's pretty horribly claibrated out of the box. Just wondering if this disc is worth the $40 to someone who has no idea what they are doing, or if calibration info can be found somewhere online for free. Also, to those who have used it, is it useable by someone who is a complete newb? or does it require some pre-existing knowledge of hometheater setup/workings? muchos gracias
Old 09-20-02, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Avia is worth the $40, yes.

If you've never used a calibration disc like this before, you might try the Sound & Vision Home Theater Tune-Up disc first. It's from the same people. It's nowhere near as comprehensive and you may still want to upgrade to Avia afterwards, but it's very cheap and will get you started on the right track.
Old 09-20-02, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Worth it, yes... If you're going to be doing a lot of the more "advanced" calibrations... I'm not familiar with the Akai, can you adjust overscan, geometry, etc fairly easily? If all you're doing is knocking down the picture settings (contrast, brightness, sharpness and so on) then go with the S&V basics disc that Josh Z linked to... But, if you're serious about getting into tweaking your set or any set for that matter, now or in the future, then Avia is an essential tool.
Old 09-20-02, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not worth it !

I paid $23 for mine and might never use it again unless I use it for audio again. Video wise my Sony XBR looks better calibrated with the THX optimode you can find on many DVD's.
Old 09-21-02, 03:49 AM

Originally posted by GMLSKIS
Not worth it !

I paid $23 for mine and might never use it again unless I use it for audio again. Video wise my Sony XBR looks better calibrated with the THX optimode you can find on many DVD's.
Sell it to me. I got Video Essentials, but always wanted Avia.
Old 09-21-02, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by GMLSKIS
Not worth it !

Avia has a much greater range of specific test patterns, along with instructions on how to use them, than the two or three very basic patterns you'll find in a THX Optimizer. Also, the way Optimizer is designed the results you come up with are good for that disc only, and may not necessarily appy to any other DVD you use, including other THX discs.

If you are the "set it and forget it" type, the $40 for Avia may seem ridiculous. I do still recommend the $17 Sound & Vision disc, at least.

Anyone who is a "tweaker" indisputably needs Avia, Video Essentials, or both.