DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Anyone know what happened to my receiver?

Old 09-19-02, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone know what happened to my receiver?

I came home today, turned on my receiver that was waiting patiently in stand-by mode. It made the normal click sound, but then nothing, it is just staying in stand-by mode. I have it hooked up to a panamax surge and the surge seems to be functioning fine and is not displaying a line fault message either. There was a pretty potent lightning/thunderstorm last night though. All other equipment appears to be working fine. In fact, the equipment plugged into the "always on" jack in back turns on fine. I popped the case and the fuse in back seems in tact too. Repeated pressing of the power up button causes a slight burning smell though. It's a Pioneer Elite VSX-24 receiver, which is a few years old, and I suspect out of warranty too. Wasn't cheap and I really like the unit. Any ideas? Anything I can try before taking it to a shop?
Old 09-20-02, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try unplugging the receiver for at least an hour and see if it resets the receiver. Most electronics like receivers, DVD players etc,, will reset when unplugged for a hour or so.

Hope it works but the smell of something burning is NOT a good sign!
Old 09-20-02, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

same thing happened to me on vacation with my VSX-D509. lightning while i was gone...surge protector seemed fine, everything else worked...

mine powered up and there was no burning smell, but it was pretty much dead.

auditioned a few receivers, even brought home a kenwood, and went back to pioneer anyway. picked up a VSX-D811S a few weeks ago. sounds great. guess i'll unplug it during T-storms.

sorry about your loss.