Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

bookmarking on DVDs?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-02, 05:12 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bookmarking on DVDs?

for a friend of mine, the ability to bookmark favorite spots on a DVD, or remember where you left off last, is very important

i dont really care about this feature, so i dont even know if my own DVD player supports it or not... so im wondering:

1. is a bookmarking/remembering feature common on most DVD players?

2. if not common, which DVD players, if any, support this feature?

thx

~Zippy!
Old 09-19-02, 08:15 PM
Cool New Member

Old 09-20-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can only speak for the Sony line, but they will "bookmark" where you left off as long as you don't eject the disc. I imagine this is pretty common.
Old 09-20-02, 02:21 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Would that work in regards to a multidisc player....for example, for Disc 1, I set a bookmark and then switch to Disc 2 to watch that....I return to Disc 1, will the bookmarks remain?
Old 09-20-02, 03:25 PM

I dont know how common the bookmark thing is. I have a panny DVD-RV31K and everytime I stop the movie in a few minutes it will go back to the main menu so I have to find where I left off. Don't know if the bookmark feature is something I can turn on.
Old 09-21-02, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My Toshiba will hold the spot until you eject, hit stop again or turn it off.
Old 09-21-02, 06:42 PM

Re: bookmarking on DVDs?

Originally posted by ZippyDan
for a friend of mine
Is this "friend" really you????

My RCA will hold the spot unless you eject the disc.
Old 09-21-02, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Panasonic single disc player will remember the spot if one turns it off without fully stopping the disc. (A single push of the stop button blanks the picture and pauses the movie. It takes two stops to fully quit the movie.) The next time the machine is turned on it resumes the movie where it left off. Useful feature.

I have no idea if this feature is available on multi-disc changers.
Old 09-23-02, 10:11 AM

Chapters are not good enough?

Judging by my own (albeit limited) personal experience, I am gonna have to say no this isn't a very common feature other than what people have listed here. It certainly isn't a feature that has a button on the remote or something such as that. I have never seen a "bookmark this spot for power down" feature listed... then again I haven't been looking either.

The only "bookmarking" I have seen appears to be pausing / stopping play and some weird combination of turning off the player without double stopping or returning to the menu. The only instances of "bookamarking" I have personally seen where when the player was left paused until it shut itself off. When it powered up it kept the same spot on the disc, but this seems to be more of a hassle than it is worth IMHO.

As for multi-disc players, my old roomate had a two disc Toshiba (don't remember the model number) which would "bookmark" the current disc so long as the disc wasn't ejected AND it powered itself down. When you turned the player back on, it would resume play from where it left off, but you had to leave it paused for a long time and let the player shut itself off. It would not remember where you were on each disc when switching from disc to disc.

How precise does this "bookmark" feature need to be? What I am getting at is that for most feature length movies there are usually about 20+ chapters, right? Jumping to whatever chapter you were on last should get you to around 5 minutes of where you left off, and from then fast forwarding should do the trick in a couple of seconds. Why does he/she need bookmarking so desparately?

I have only run into a few DVD's (mostly anime or other series that were split up only by episodes) where there were very limited chapters, but even in that case it was broken up enough that jumping to a chapter and doing a little fast forwarding was no problem. Is that sufficient for your friend? They are aware that like audio tapes vs. CDs there are generally the same differences in VCR tapes vs. DVDs. Tapes kept the spot because they were physically left at that position in the film. To recreate this would probably require something like flash memory put into the player or the laser be physically left in position and not returned to the power off location which is probably what is happening in most of the cases descibed above.

I dunno, I guess I am just having a hard time figuring out why bookmarking is such a key feature for your friend...