DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Rear Projection TV and Video Games

Old 09-18-02, 02:03 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Rear Projection TV and Video Games

Okay, I've heard from manufacturers and HT mags that I shouldn't hook up my Nintendo to my 65" Mistsu Rear Projection HDTV as it may result in some burn in problems.

My take on it is that I watch TV and stations now all seems to have logos on the corners or news casts that have scrolling or relatively static bars, or sports that have static scoreboards and so forth...

My questions to you all out there:

1. Doesn't all the TV watching and static items also result in the same burn in issue?

2. Do I REALLY need to stay away from playing occassionally my Nintendo on my RPTV?

Thanks.
Old 09-18-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

1. yes

2. no

not all static images are created equal. some networks use transparent logos which are less harmful. ticker tape bars are evil and should be avoided most of the time. the same goes for video games. but if you make sure to lower the contrast as much as possible and avoid playing the same game for hours on end you shouldn't suffer from burn in for a while. if you can turn off static life bars and speedometers that is a good idea. the key is to vary your usage as much as possible.
Old 09-18-02, 06:35 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Broadwayblue, thanks for the quick response!
I figure that even on a video game, I change boards often enough that the info on the screen is moving constantly or at the least is static for short periods of time.
Old 09-18-02, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If you have a static menu bar, life bar, etc. on a game, how long should you play that game in one sitting before letting the TV rest? 2hours, 4 hours, more or less?
Old 09-18-02, 09:43 PM

Are there any Rear Projection HDTV that are capable of playing games or is it a problem that all of them have. I have been considering buying a Pioneer Elite RP HDTV and own all 3 current game systems.
Old 09-19-02, 06:38 AM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The thing that most manufacturers warn in their documentation of the RP HDTVs is that the warranty will be void if video games are attached to the TVs. I'm beyond the warranty period but either way, I just want to make sure I'm not getting burn-in for something that I can just as easily do on another TV whereas my RPTV is primarily used for the enjoyment of movies.