DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Should I buy the APEX AD 1500 or 1600?

Old 09-18-02, 02:15 PM

Should I buy the APEX AD 1500 or 1600?

Is there a huge difference other than the price? Supposedly the 1600 has a slightly higher bitrate, but is less consistent...

Anyone?
Old 09-18-02, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I wouldn't buy an APEX. I had two and they both broke down on me right when the warrenty expired. I would buy Sony if possible. You can get some sony dvd players for about $120. Wal-mart has an Emerson for about $74. It is a good bargain buy.
Old 09-18-02, 11:05 PM

I'd like to spend below 80. Emerson? Which one, and does it have good features? Like VCD and SVCD.
Old 09-19-02, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've had 2 apexs, both still work. I gave my Apex AD600 away to my friend, since it became finicky about playing SVCDS/VCDS...but still plays DVDS flawlessly. I now have an APEX AD1200 and it works fine. They are not good players by any means though, they have bad audio circuitry, and some of the worst video quality I have ever seen. I only use them for playing my SVCDS, since most other DVD players do not. I have a nice new Denon DVD1600 for my DVDS
Old 09-19-02, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The Emerson will play mp3s and cds but not vcds. I like the Emerson brand. I have a Emerson vcr from 1985 and it still works great. I would be weary about Apex. My Aunt had one and used it only two times and it broke down on her.
Old 09-19-02, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know nothing about the 1600....but the 1500 is hackable
Old 09-19-02, 11:37 AM

True true. It is. But it is good video quality the 1500?
Or what about the Daewoo 5800? Anyone know where to get that other than CostCo itself.
Old 10-12-02, 08:32 AM

1. Apex 1500 purchased on 2/14/02 for $69.99 w/ 3 year warranty for $29.99

2. DVD player worked great for me with my modest HT setup and 27 inch TV. I typically watch 3-5 movies per week. Worked fine until....

3. BROKEN on 10/12/02 --- will play some DVD's, but wont play the last few i rented from BlockBuster, says "load" forever, few random spins and nothing.... wont play allot in my personal colelction, until this point it worked great.

4. Off to circuity city this dreary sat AM to solve the problem.

5. for $30, i will get it replaced, so that is good, but if i rebuy a warranty, repeat this process a few more times, i will be out allot more money.

6. SOLUTION? think i will buy another Apex, hack it for region free, macro free.... and buy $100-$200 priced name brand DVD player or possibly a Kenwood/Sony Changer for full time use

7. Suggestion to you? dont buy an Apex expecting it to last for a long time, especially if you are an avid movie watcher.

my $.02
Old 10-14-02, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was considering buying an Apex and getting a warranty with it, but now I'm not sure.

How difficult is it to hack the 1500? I know the 3201, all you have to do is press a few buttons on the remote to get it region free...
Old 10-14-02, 11:28 AM

it is easy, but we cant talk about it on this board

email me for more info
Old 10-14-02, 04:07 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

go to www.vcdhelp.com to learn the ins and outs of the Apex 1500
Old 10-14-02, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

www.nerd-out.com is available for all your Apex needs.
Old 10-22-02, 03:44 AM

Apex is a REALLY cheap, but full featured brand. I have bought I think about 4 so far, two of those got funky and were returned. The other two are working fine, and get a fair amount of use, and now are pushing a year or so old. If one of them broke tomorrow I would most likely just drop by the next sale at walmart and buy another Apex. Spending a lot now on a high quality, but still largely obsoleted in a couple years unit doesn't strike me as wise.

BTW I have no clue on the audio quality of the unit, my audio connection is digital.

Also if warranties worked as you suggest, indeed they would be worthless, but when you buy the unit with a 3 year replacement warranty, and return it defective, the replacement unit is covered for the remainder of the original warranty and at the same terms for no additional cost.
Old 10-22-02, 06:02 PM

Originally posted by mikeford
Apex is a REALLY cheap, but full featured brand. I have bought I think about 4 so far, two of those got funky and were returned. The other two are working fine, and get a fair amount of use, and now are pushing a year or so old. If one of them broke tomorrow I would most likely just drop by the next sale at walmart and buy another Apex. Spending a lot now on a high quality, but still largely obsoleted in a couple years unit doesn't strike me as wise.

BTW I have no clue on the audio quality of the unit, my audio connection is digital.

Also if warranties worked as you suggest, indeed they would be worthless, but when you buy the unit with a 3 year replacement warranty, and return it defective, the replacement unit is covered for the remainder of the original warranty and at the same terms for no additional cost.
....No...what doesnt strike me as wise would be the fact that u actually dealt with 4 different Apex DVD Players

i mean come on, if i bought a brand name electronic, and it broke down on me once....i would maybe replace..but if it broke down a second time...come on ....that brand is as good as dead for me
Old 10-23-02, 01:56 AM

I bought the units at walmart, which has brainless returns, and really at the time NOTHING else did all the stuff the Apex did..

As far as brand loyalty, sorry, haven't had any of that in years. Even the best brands these days come out with lemon models, and many units that "seem" like a piece of junk, or even get many reviews for problems, can turn out to work just fine.

BTW funny thing is after I made the second return, I decided to take the difficult DVD with me to pick out a replacement. Turned out my copy of Gladiator was bad.
Old 10-23-02, 10:19 PM

I have read the websites posted on this thread and I still can't make up my mind. I need some help guys and gals. Do you think Apex is a good DVD player? Right now, I don't have a lot of dough to sink into a DVD player. I would like to get a Apex model but I have read where some people have had problems with them. I don't want to buy one and wind up having a lot of trouble with it. Any thoughts on what I should do?
Old 10-23-02, 11:56 PM

All I can say is that I haven't had any problems with my Apex ad-600a and this was their first player on the market..
Old 10-24-02, 01:52 AM

Some percent, and I dont' know if we are talking 1% or 10% have some initial problems. Most of those are from RTFM, ie user didn't read the manual and did something stupid. Some are problems with something else, and some are defective.

It takes maybe 30 minutes to hook up a DVD, especially if you do the idiot version and just swap it for something else like a VCR so little messing with cables using a mirror is required. MAYBE another 30 minutes to be pretty sure something is wrong with the unit, than back in the box and back to the store.

Chances of the second unit being bad too are much more remote, ditto the third. Unless they all have some problem, which does happen, but most likely its a bad DVD etc.