DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Cable problem?

Old 09-18-02, 02:13 PM

Cable problem?

Hi everyone, I had carpet installers move my big screen tv today and they pulled it out to far without disconnecting the audio cables (Monster Cables) and it broke the male part of the plug off inside the receiver. There's nothing sticking out to grab a hold of to remove it. Would any of you have any idea's how I would be able to remove them? Both of them (R&L) are broke off. Thanks!

Oh, it's an Onkyo TX DS797 if that matters.

Kathy Jo
Old 09-18-02, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow this is a tough one.

If there is any part of the plug or cable sticking out of the plug on the back you may be able to grab it and carefully pull it out.

If not then the only other option is going to be to open up the receiver and look for the connector on the inside and try to gently push it out of the plug.

Failing in the or if you do not want to try you will need to take it to a shop and have them do it for you.

I would be really, REALLY mad at those guys and they would definitely hear from me.
Old 09-18-02, 09:44 PM

Ok thanks Brian , thats what I was afraid of. And yeah, I contacted the carpet people and they will pay for the repairs but I'm still stuck with having to redo everything and be without my sound system untill it gets fixed. I just thought maybe there was another way but I guess not. Thanks for your reply!

Kathy Jo
Old 09-25-02, 11:54 PM

In case this ever happens to anyone else I just wanted to let people know I got it out and heres how I did it. I took a small drill bit and on the flat end of the bit I put a little drop of super glue, put it in the hole, let it setup and pulled them out. Worked the first time on both ends.

Kathy Jo