DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

A decent $400ish TV?

Old 09-18-02, 11:15 AM

A decent $400ish TV?

Please refrain from giving me slamming me for even thinking of buying a TV in this price range. I know that it is fun to jump on someone who isn't going to drop big bucks on their system, but pass this time. Here what I would like advice on:

A 24" to 27" television that you've bought in the past year or so that you have been very satisfied with for DVD's. Brand, sound isn't important. Thanks.
Old 09-18-02, 12:11 PM
Banned

Why so defensive?
Old 09-18-02, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Samsung 2790f - flat screen 27". I have the model from last year and so far it's been great. No geometry problems, fairly good sound (even though I don't use it it's nice to know it's there), easy to tweak in the service menu, 16:9 mode, component input, great picture, etc. (if you're in the NH/New England area email me , if not you can find it at best buy). It should be right around your price range and it goes on sale all the time.
Old 09-18-02, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by Todd Gaines
Why so defensive?
I read the forum pretty often and it seems anyone asking about lower end equipment (especially audio) gets reemed. But maybe its just me.
Old 09-18-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally posted by Michael Dorsey
I read the forum pretty often and it seems anyone asking about lower end equipment (especially audio) gets reemed. But maybe its just me.
You asked a very straight-forward question, and there's no reason you should expect to be reemed for it.

$400 should get a half-way decent 27" set. Get at least a 27", whatever you do.

Hey, if that's your budget - that's your budget. I know I'd love a 60" widescreen set, but it just ain't gonna happen for a while.
Old 09-18-02, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Michael Dorsey
It's funny, I always thought this forum was one of the more friendly Home Theater sites. Some places jump down your throat if you don't have the latest and greatest but most of the people here are willing to help no matter what your budget.
Old 09-18-02, 04:52 PM

Hell, he got reemed for asking not to be reemed...

Comp USA was selling very nice Toshiba 27" FST flat screens for $399. Check for closeouts on older models.
Old 09-18-02, 09:43 PM

Sams Club sells an Akai 27" flat screen, which is actually a re-badged Samsung Dynaflat- great tv, fantastic picture quality,does the anamorphic sueeze from the remote, component and s-video, etc., sells for $379. they also sell a 24" but it does not do the squeeze function.There have been many threads on this forum and HTF about both the value and quality of this tv. $400 can buy you quite a bit if you look for the right features and don't try to buy the biggest set you can find for your money.
Old 09-18-02, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Be wary; there are some people around who might ream you for misspelling reamed!
Old 09-18-02, 11:37 PM

Oops...

They did it first...
Old 09-19-02, 08:48 AM

Thanks for the good advice so far...

The Akai is interesting (The price especially), but I haven't been able to find much about Akai or Samsung for that matter. Any links?
Old 09-19-02, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a few threads about the Akai/Samsung:

There's a lot more, just do a search here or go to the display devices section at www.hometheaterforum.com and search for akai.
Old 09-22-02, 09:13 AM

Samsung seems to be one of the few companies who makes non-flat screen t.v.'s with anamorphic squeeze.

I bought a 27" model (can't remember model # and it's on the back of the t.v.) with anamorphic squeeze for under $300. The picture quality is pretty good and the anamorphic squeeze makes anamorphic dvd's look great.

The Samsung flatscreen models are excellent as well, but cost more money. The only problem I noticed with Samsung t.v.'s in general (even their high end hdtv models) is they don't hold a constant black level. An example is at the end credits of a movie, if the screen is black and the scrolling letters are white the black level of the screen changes. My friend has a 32" Wega that this doesn't happen on, but aside from this the two are a lot closer on quality then you would think given the price diffrence.
Old 09-23-02, 09:05 PM

Originally posted by Icculus
Samsung 2790f - flat screen 27". I have the model from last year and so far it's been great. No geometry problems, fairly good sound (even though I don't use it it's nice to know it's there), easy to tweak in the service menu, 16:9 mode, component input, great picture, etc. (if you're in the NH/New England area email me , if not you can find it at best buy). It should be right around your price range and it goes on sale all the time.
I'll second satisfaction with this TV!