DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Help Me Buy a TV

Old 09-18-02, 11:06 AM
Banned

Help Me Buy a TV

Hopefully I came to the right place for this.

Looking to get a new TV. Nothing extreme, just something for my apartment room, probably around the low 20" range and somewhere between $250-300 ($300 being expensive).

I have a Gamecube and am interested in something that will make Mario and friends look as crisp and clear as possible. I am SOMEWHAT interested in a TV/DVD player combo, but I'd rather spend money on a bigger, better TV without the DVD player included. However, I'm not objected to the combo. I am looking into connecting my computer monitor to this TV I get since I have a DVD player on my computer. If anyone has information about this cord or connection, that'd be great too.

I'm leaning towards the HDTV's obviously as well, but have very little knowledge and am not sure which brands to focus on and which to avoid. Also, I wouldn't mind something esthetically pleasing and stylish, but that again is not as important as the picture quality itself.

Any help (with links to pictures of the set etc.) is appreciated.

Last edited by Mike_AA; 09-18-02 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-18-02, 11:13 AM
Banned

do I get a commission for helping you?
Old 09-18-02, 11:26 AM
Banned

Absolutely...

Well no. But the personal satisfaction should be plenty, eh?
Old 09-18-02, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

how about one of those 20" VVegas?
Old 09-18-02, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good luck finding a HDTV for under $300.
Old 09-18-02, 12:23 PM
Banned

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
Good luck finding a HDTV for under $300.
Wow thanks for the help

Well? http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=28
Old 09-18-02, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i suggest you go with the cheapest flat screen 20" set you can find that has an s-video input. if you will be routing audio through your stereo you don't even need the set to do stereo sound. forget about component inputs or any other special features. at your price point HD is not an option. i think apex and some others make some in the $200 range.
Old 09-18-02, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Mike_AA
Wow thanks for the help

Well? http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...cat=24&scat=28
Is that really an HDTV? I don't see any mention of HD, HDTV, or even 1080i, 720p, etc anywhere on that set. Maybe I'm wrong. (If so, i aplogize for my remark earlier, which you apparently took much more seriously than the manner in which I intended it.)
Old 09-18-02, 05:15 PM
Banned

OK, I just realized that a flat screen is what I'm looking for, which is what that 20" WEGA model is. So pretty much it doesn't need to be HDTV, however a flat screen (thus much better quality than an average TV, right?) is what I'm looking for.
Old 09-22-02, 12:19 PM

I have Best Buy's 20" Advent flat screen, and I'm absolutely in love with it.

http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m=...=28&e=11102176

It's the best possible bang for your buck that you can get for a 20" flat screen. It has both component and s-video inputs, so it's perfect for anything you could possibly need, and that $200 price point can't be beat. Best Buy is the only place I've been able to find this tv, and I believe I discovered that Advent is actually a branch off of Apex when I bought it.

-Kirsten
Old 09-23-02, 12:10 PM

I gotta agree that finding a new HDTV for $300 would be the find of the century, even at 20". Is this TV going to be ONLY used to gaming and never for anything else? If it is, then 20" may be fine, but if you are planning on watching any DVDs (especially letter boxed) on it and don't feel like looking at a screen the size of an envelope (ok, I am exaggerating to prove a point) then you might want to bump up the size of the screen you are looking at getting.

Is $300 a hard and fast limit? IF you can scrounge together an extra $50 you can get the 27" Akai (rebadged Samsung) from Sam's Club (go to samsclub.com and search on "akai") that people have been raving about as being a great bargain for the price. It is a flatscreen, has Component in and Anamorphic Squeeze (so it uses all of your horizontal scan lines for the letterbox and none for the black bars at the top and bottom) and seems to have made quite a few people on the forum rather happy. I am still planning on picking one up myself as soon as this moving process I am stuck in the middle of finishes. I don't know if that is too much money for your budget, but if it isn't, you may want to check it out.

Another option is to skip the flat screen, and spend about the same money and get a curved screen tube. You can generally get a curved tube for cheaper than a flat screen of comparable size which means that for the same money as your 20" you may be able to get a 25-27" with a curved screen and possibly more features. I don't know how set you are on not getting a curved screen, or what your reasoning is for going with the flat tube. You said that:
flat screen (thus much better quality than an average TV, right?) is what I'm looking for.
and I don't know how accurate that really is or exactly what you are basing that statement on.

The curved vs. flat debate has supporters on each side and a lot of it is simply a matter of preference. The viewing angle is better on a flat screen and that matters to me because of the room layout (of my bedroom) where I'll be putting it, but if you aren't similarly limited then a curved tube might be a better option and a bigger option to boot. I wouldn't just jump into a purchase if I were you. Do your research and actually go view several models if you can and make your decision based on that. Check the forum for more information on places where you can get reviews and such. Sony might be name brand, but buying a rebadge may give you more features than that Sony you linked will.
Old 09-23-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A flat screen will give fewer reflections from windows in daylight or lights at night. (If you can control room lighting a flat screen may not be necessary.) Component video is the best for a DVD player hook-up, followed by S-video.

I don't think that you can find one in your price and size (smaller than 24") range, but vertical compression (also called "16:9 enhanced mode") will give the best DVD picture by a wide margin. (More important than flat screen in my opinion, although they are usually found together.) The 24" Sony Wega with vertical compression goes for about $400.