Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

My DVD player won't play DVD-Rs. Help me pick a new one.

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

I have a Panasonic RP-62 DVD player which I love. Progressive out, great black levels. Just a solid player all around.

However, I recently purchased a Lite-On Dual-format DVD burner (411s.) And neither DVD-R or DVD+Rs work on the player. And I have upgraded to the latest firmware. Still no dice.

I've tried several different types of media (TDK, Fujifilm, Optodisc and Apple specifically) and several burning programs (Nero, DVD Architect, Roxio.) I've done a little research and it seems that this particular player is kinda sketchy when it comes to DVD-R playback. The discs I burn work fine on my computer and on my Xbox.

So I was thinking of selling the player and getting something that will work a little better.

I only paid a little over $100 for the player, so I was hoping to get something for under $150.

Fire away.
Old 12-17-03, 04:36 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Try + or - RW discs.
Old 12-17-03, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: My DVD player won't play DVD-Rs. Help me pick a new one.

Originally posted by Draven
I have a Panasonic RP-62 DVD player which I love. Progressive out, great black levels. Just a solid player all around.

However, I recently purchased a Lite-On Dual-format DVD burner (411s.) And neither DVD-R or DVD+Rs work on the player. And I have upgraded to the latest firmware. Still no dice.

I've tried several different types of media (TDK, Fujifilm, Optodisc and Apple specifically) and several burning programs (Nero, DVD Architect, Roxio.) I've done a little research and it seems that this particular player is kinda sketchy when it comes to DVD-R playback. The discs I burn work fine on my computer and on my Xbox.

So I was thinking of selling the player and getting something that will work a little better.

I only paid a little over $100 for the player, so I was hoping to get something for under $150.

Fire away.
I have the RP62 as a secondary player and it plays DVD-R's perfectly! It will NOT play DVD-RW's or DVD+R/RW's at all though. I use a Sony DRU500A and use Nero 6.0.0.28 to burn with (although earlier versions have worked fine as well). I use Memorex 4x DVD-R's and have not had any problems. You can get Memorex DVD-R's on sale for $1 a piece in 25-50 packs all the time at places like CompUSA/BB etc... Since there are so many variables involved in burning DVD's it could be many different things causing your burns to not work with the RP62. Have you tried playing these burned DVD-R's in someone else's stand alone DVD player to see if it works? Because DVD-ROM's and X-Box DVD drives will play a lot of DVD-R's that stand alones won't. If the DVD-R's won't play in any other stand alone DVD players then you know the burn was bad.

I would highly suggest you go to DVDRHelp.com to get all the info you ever would want about DVD burning! There are forums there to for you to post you problems on and they have links to a bunch of free DVD burning software that will do as good a job or better then any retial software you would buy.

Keep us up to date on your progress!

Last edited by Frank S; 12-17-03 at 05:04 PM.
Old 12-17-03, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Re: My DVD player won't play DVD-Rs. Help me pick a new one.

Originally posted by Frank S
I have the RP62 as a secondary player and it plays DVD-R's perfectly! It will NOT play DVD-RW's or DVD+R/RW's at all though. I use a Sony DRU500A and use Nero 6.0.0.28 to burn with (although earlier version have worked fine as well). I use Memorex 4x DVD-R's and have not had any problems. You can get Memorex DVD-R's on sale for $1 a piece in 25-50 packs all the time at places like CompUSA/BB etc... Since there are so many variables involved in burning DVD's it could be many different things causing your burns to not work with the RP62. Have you tried playing these burned DVD-R's in someone else's stand alone DVD player to see if it works? Because DVD-ROM's and X-Box DVD drives will play a lot of DVD-R's that stand alones won't. If the DVD-R's won't play in any other syand alone DVD player then you know the burn was bad.

I would highly suggest you go to URL=http://www.dvdrhelp.com/]DVDRHelp.com[/URL] to get all the info you ever would want about DVD burning! There are forums there to for you to post you problems on and they have links to a bunch of free DVD burning software that will do as good a job or better then any retial software you would buy.

Keep us up to date on your progress!
Hmmm. I have looked at that site, but I didn't have much luck. I'll give it another shot.

And I think I just bought a pack of Memorex discs that didn't work either. I honestly can't remember the brand, but I'm pretty sure it was Memorex. Maybe I'll try some different software.

I'm a little afraid that it's the burner, but we'll see what I can find.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 12-17-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The key first thing to try is putting your burned DVD-R's in someone else's stand alone player.

When you use Nero how are you doing it? What version do you have. I think you need at least a higher version 5.x to get reliable DVD burns. Do you use DVD Video or DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO)? Do you have Joliet turned off as well as other ISO relaxed setting off? File length should be set to 8.3 format. If you use the DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO) compilation on the UDF tab you need to set it at Physical partition and UDF 1.02. I found that all versions before I upgraded to Nero 6.0.0.28 I was forced to use the DVD-ROM (UDF/ISO) compilation but when I got the 6.0.0.28 version I had to use the DVD-Video compilation to get burn to work with my RP62.
Old 12-17-03, 05:47 PM

Have you tried setting your Panny back to factory defaults?
Old 12-17-03, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Holy crap.

I should have just posted here and asked this question a while back.

I'm using Nero 5.5, and I was using the DVD-Video tab. I changed it to an UDF/ISO and turned Joliet off and bingo, it worked in my RP62.

Thanks a TON Frank, I appreciate it.
Old 12-17-03, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Draven
Holy crap.

I should have just posted here and asked this question a while back.

I'm using Nero 5.5, and I was using the DVD-Video tab. I changed it to an UDF/ISO and turned Joliet off and bingo, it worked in my RP62.

Thanks a TON Frank, I appreciate it.
COOL! Glad I could help you. Nice you don't need to scrap the DVD player isn't it?

If you go up to Nero 6 and if you upgrade (free download from Ahead) to 6.0.0.28 and you then will need to use the DVD-Video instead of UDF/ISO. Don't know why the change in this new version but it stopped working for UDF/ISO and worked for DVD-Video when I went to this version. Any other Nero 6 version before 6.0.0.28 you will keep using UDF/ISO.

Have a nice holidays!

Last edited by Frank S; 12-17-03 at 11:12 PM.
Old 12-18-03, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Frank S
COOL! Glad I could help you. Nice you don't need to scrap the DVD player isn't it?

If you go up to Nero 6 and if you upgrade (free download from Ahead) to 6.0.0.28 and you then will need to use the DVD-Video instead of UDF/ISO. Don't know why the change in this new version but it stopped working for UDF/ISO and worked for DVD-Video when I went to this version. Any other Nero 6 version before 6.0.0.28 you will keep using UDF/ISO.

Have a nice holidays!
You too. Thanks again
Old 12-18-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sony players will play DVD-R, DVD+R , DVD+RW and DVD-RW (video mode) no problem.
Old 12-18-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I got lucky, I have an older Toshiba (5109) that I didn't think would play any burned media but it plays DVD-R just fine. Now I can transfer all my 8mm home movies to DVD when I have a few extra hours with nothing to do.
Old 12-27-03, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by Steve Phillips
Sony players will play DVD-R, DVD+R , DVD+RW and DVD-RW (video mode) no problem.
How accurate is this?

I plan on picking up a progressive scan dvd player tommorrow at a retail store ( bb, cc, etc. )

If I can pick up a sony and know that most dvd media will work with it, that would be nice.
Old 12-27-03, 07:52 PM
X
Administrator

My Sony is pretty picky.
Old 12-27-03, 09:00 PM

Is it a current or previous years' model?
Old 12-27-03, 09:13 PM
X
Administrator

It's a 650D. About 3 years old.
Old 12-28-03, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My Sony players are from 2000 and 2002.
Old 12-28-03, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just picked up a Sony DVP-NS425P progressive scan player from Best Buy. I have tried both +r and -r discs that I have burned using Roxio 6. It has played the few that I have tried flawlessly. Since it is new I haven't had much of a chance to fully check it out, but so far I like it.

The documentation says it plays +r/+rw/-r/-rw, and so far it has played everything I have thrown at it.

The picture is fine to me. Looks better than the panasonic that it is replacing. But I only use it on a 27 inch TV, so I can't comment on the progressive output.