DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Logo burn in (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/237548-logo-burn.html)

socalgoblin 09-17-02 11:52 PM

Logo burn in

Ive been reading about logo burn in, what color logo will cause burn in faster and what do i do to avoid this ? how long is excessive in one day? what if someone in my house watches daytime soaps 4 hours a day ,5 days a week ,same channel,what is a person supposed to do,besides lower the contrast? i dont think ive ever been so paranoid about something in my whole life (lol). anyone can you answer me please ,david

X 09-18-02 12:06 AM

What kind of set? A regular direct-view shouldn't be a problem with only 4 hours a day. An RPTV might be. But then watching daytime soaps on an RPTV might signify other problems such as having the brightness and contrast turned up too high.

broadwayblue 09-18-02 01:17 PM

keeping the contrast down (and possibly the brightness too) will help a lot. after that you should try and watch stations that use transparent logos. avoid extended viewing of channels with ticker tape bars (cnn or espn2.) while a direct view set is less prone to burn in than a rear projection model...it can happen. a few years ago i had a roommate who paused my replaytv and forgot about it. when i came home several hours later and unpaused the show there was a visible spot where the little blue pause icon had been. while it did dissipate i can still see it to this day...especially when the screen is white. unfortunately, i watch a lot of hockey and it is very apparent over the white ice.

socalgoblin 09-18-02 10:13 PM

Its a rptv ,so i put the contrast to less then 50% and the brightness about 50%,and thanks for explaining about the logos,i was wondering if the clear ones were better for your tv, and i guess it would take longer then 4 hours a day to burn a image,one more question,once something is burned on the screen ,does it ever go away and how? thank you for your responses

djbrown 09-19-02 03:07 PM

Originally posted by socalgoblin
Its a rptv ,so i put the contrast to less then 50% and the brightness about 50%,and thanks for explaining about the logos,i was wondering if the clear ones were better for your tv, and i guess it would take longer then 4 hours a day to burn a image,one more question,once something is burned on the screen ,does it ever go away and how? thank you for your responses
Those values still seem pretty high to me. Somewhere around the 20-30% is what I use, and you get used to it real quick.

And of course, there's no substitution for running the TV set through the various calibration discs (Avia etc...) out there......

Movie_Man 09-20-02 01:23 PM

I'm thinking that with your current contrast settings, as long as you do watch something other than that one particular channel to balance things out, you shouldn't worry about it too much.

SINGLE104 09-21-02 03:00 PM

I have a question. When you have your contrast, and brightness at 20%-30% will the picture be extremely too dim or dark? I have a 34" direct view HD set, and I usually keep mine approximately at: 40- 50%

djbrown 09-23-02 08:53 AM

Originally posted by SINGLE104
I have a question. When you have your contrast, and brightness at 20%-30% will the picture be extremely too dim or dark? I have a 34" direct view HD set, and I usually keep mine approximately at: 40- 50%
surpringly, the picture looks fine. I can get the exact contrast/brightness numbers and post them here. 99% sure they are in the 20-30% range.

SINGLE104 09-23-02 09:13 AM

I will appreciated if you would. That will very helpful.

SoRetarded 09-23-02 10:25 AM

White seems to be the nastiest at causing burn in, at least as far as I can tell. It has to do with (unless I am mistaken) the way that white is represented. All three of the "primary" colors are turned on and at full brightness to generate a white logo.

Back in the days of the Sega Genesis, there were bright white clouds in the background of the first few levels of Sonic 2 and to this day I still have them burnt into my old TV. Luckily that was a spare TV anyway at the time, and now get's near to zero use, but the clouds are still there when it does get the occasional bit of usage. Ah, memories...

Here, this might be of use:
http://www.homecinemachoice.com/arti...reenBurn.shtml

djbrown 09-23-02 12:43 PM

Originally posted by SINGLE104
I will appreciated if you would. That will very helpful.
just checked. Slightly higher than I thought, but they are set for Contrast at 33% and Brightness at 40%. This is for a Toshiba 50" RPTV