DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Need help hooking up my xbox and str-de485 receiver so it recognizes optical. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/237172-need-help-hooking-up-my-xbox-str-de485-receiver-so-recognizes-optical.html)

Canis Firebrand 09-16-02 04:00 PM

Need help hooking up my xbox and str-de485 receiver so it recognizes optical.

I just purchased an Xbox and found out that it can pass the dts signal to a receiver for decoding.

I hooked it up with an optical cable to a Sony str-de485 receiver(don't want to spend a fortune on a receiver for playing games and occasionally watching a movie).

I'm not sure what is going on.... The receiver isn't detecting that it has an optical cable in it, so no DTS or 5.1 sound is being played.

The xbox is set to enable dolby digital and dts.

Thanks in advance.

Icculus 09-16-02 04:18 PM

I don't know about that specific receiver but some need you to assign the digital inputs to a certain input mode. On my receiver there's a button labelled "digital select". I just pick the input I want (ex. video one) and then hit digital select until it's the right digital input (you only have to do it once and then it's set).

Canis Firebrand 09-16-02 04:23 PM

Originally posted by Icculus
I don't know about that specific receiver but some need you to assign the digital inputs to a certain input mode. On my receiver there's a button labelled "digital select". I just pick the input I want (ex. video one) and then hit digital select until it's the right digital input (you only have to do it once and then it's set).
I hit that button on my receiver, and it gives me the choices: Auto, coax, analog.
Auto means it decides, giving priority to digital signals. But no sound is reporduced.
I'm hooking up my xbox now to my home theater receiver, which I know the optical works since its hooked up to my dvd player. This way I will rule out the xbox or the receiver as the problem.

**EDIT**

Okay... hooking up the xbox to my main receiver... the dts was outputted. So, that means that my str-de485 receiver is the problem.

Guess its going back to the store. The thing that gets me is that it says that it decodes 5.1 and dts.
:hscratch:

Brian Shannon 09-17-02 06:46 AM

Guess its going back to the store. The thing that gets me is that it says that it decodes 5.1 and dts
Just to be sure you were playing a disc with a DTS track on it? A DVD that is DTS will usually not default to the DTS track, this must be selected from the menu.

Canis Firebrand 09-17-02 08:34 AM

Originally posted by Brian Shannon
Just to be sure you were playing a disc with a DTS track on it? A DVD that is DTS will usually not default to the DTS track, this must be selected from the menu.
Yep.. I was trying my DTS copy of Saving Private Ryan, and selected the dts audio from the first prompt.

I brought it back to the store and picked up a Kenwood receiver that was the same price. Hooked that one up and had no problems with the dts signal or dd 5.1.

Playing Halo sounded so much better then just coming through the tv. :thumbsup:

renaldow 09-17-02 09:08 AM

The funny thing is, I was just trying to do the same thing yesterday with my PS2 and a JVC receiver. I couldn't get the receiver to recognize the optical input no matter what I did.

I activated it on both the PS2 and JVC, did everything the JVC manual said to do to get it set up on that side. Nothing. Not a whisper. I messed around with settings, tried to screw it up so I could reset it back to defaults (that works sometimes with things, you know?) And still nothing.

I finally gave up, sat back on the couch to play my game and about 5 seconds later the sound kicked on. Don't ask me, but it works now.