DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Back UPS for Home Theater?

Old 09-16-02, 01:54 PM

Back UPS for Home Theater?

Is there a such thing as an uninterruptable power supply for your home theater setup? I've heard of (and intend to purchase) Back UPS by APC for my PC, but I've never heard of using one for home theater. If I understand correctly the Back UPS for the PC utilizes a software component (I assume to shut down the PC and save data before the battery shuts off). Does something exist for a home theater setting. I live in the country and it is not unusual for the electricity to "blink". I have everything on a good (warranty) surge protector, but I'd like the power to be uninterruptable so I won't have to readjust settings to my equipment each time.

Last edited by 120inna55; 09-16-02 at 01:56 PM.
Old 09-16-02, 02:38 PM

Yes, they do make UPS's for home theater setups, however, the Back UPS is not the best choice. Whatever you choose, you want to make sure it outputs a true sine wave, not the approximated (or stepped) sine wave the Back UPS puts out. For instance, APC SmartUPS's at 700va or larger output a true sine wave.

There are also some mega-$$$$ ones made specifically for home theater.
Old 09-16-02, 07:20 PM

OK, if APC is not the best choice then, whom should I choose? What company would you recommend? Could you post a link? Thanks!
Old 09-16-02, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would have to say go with a APC if you have a tivo. This was if the power goes out it will usually last 20-30 minutes and you may get through your show. That is what I do. But I also have it hooked up to my Monster Power HTS5100.

LInk:http://www.monstercable.com/power/pr...=1316&mixtype=

They are worth every penny. It will really clean up everything.
Old 09-16-02, 09:58 PM

Not having a specified budget, this is the best one I can think of:

PS Audio P1200

Old 09-17-02, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by TheKobra
I would have to say go with a APC if you have a tivo. This was if the power goes out it will usually last 20-30 minutes and you may get through your show. That is what I do. But I also have it hooked up to my Monster Power HTS5100.
and make sure you connect your cable box to it as well...not much good it will do you if the tivo keeps recording a blank screen!