DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Maybe we should all stop buying dvds...

Old 09-15-02, 06:39 AM

Maybe we should all stop buying dvds...

Cause they will all be released on Blue Ray eventually.
Okay Sony showed of a blue ray disc player of in Japan. You know how sony is, they will release the format no matter what the others companies does! The sony blue ray is incaserated in a shell this mean no fingerprints, dust or scratches ( teoratcally ) and the surfaces can be used to put cool pictures on. You can have 24 bit/ 96 Khz dts or something new and better on there. The players hook up digitally to your screen. That was the good things about it but, its not back compatible. But then again the dvd wasn't back compatible with the Laserdisc. All of our dvds will be obselte.
Cause who wants a inferior standard ??
All the classics will come out again...remastered!! And this will happen within five years!!!!I know for sure that I will be buying the originale Star Wars when it comes out on Blue Ray in 2006.
Acually dvds hasn't shown what they are completlly campable of yet, Digital transfer a la Star Wars EP 2 and digital picure connection Ilink which pioneer says will be on there players from next year...there is some pictures of the beast in this thread.
Thoughts, Kris

http://www.dvdfile.com/interactive/f...threadid=22411
Old 09-15-02, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would not expect 2006 for Blu-Ray or any hi-def format to become the standard, but probably another 5 years later. If the studios do not support Sony's format there will be no software for it to provide to end users anyway (aside from Columbia). For a major launch of DVD's replacement there still needs to be a significant number of televisiions that can benefit from the upgrade. At this point and even in 2006 I just do not see the installed base being there yet.

If this player takes hold it would mean everyone who has a HDTV now would have to buy a new one to obtain the proper hook up options. I am sure they will sell an adapter of some sort but it will probably downcovert the signal for current HDTV owners, which could pose another problem. For Hi-Def signals the studios are going to be even more touchy about piracy, so a new copy-protected connection is a reality not a possibility.

As for audio who needs DTS? DTS is nothing but a lossy compression scheme. With the amount of storage space available we should be able to have uncompressed audio streams ala DVD-A or SACD.

J
Old 09-15-02, 12:36 PM

Good answer, but what will actually happen with SACD will there be a new standard??
Old 09-15-02, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Why even bother with blu-ray? There's bound to be a better format after that, and probably a better one after that too.
Old 09-16-02, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Maybe we should all stop buying dvds...

Originally posted by kristoffer
teoratcally
Uh oh, is this another radiculos word?
Old 09-16-02, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a perfectly cromulent word.

Regardless, five years from now is, well, five frikken years! In the few short years we've had DVD, I have been exposed to all kinds of films I never would have seen without DVD. And I doubt the jump in quality will be the same as it was from VHS to DVD. I don't see it taking off like DVD did.
Old 09-16-02, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

DVD's look really good. There isn't much farther to go with old films in a new format. You can only make an older film look so good. Now maybe new films will see a significant benefit, I don't know.
Old 09-16-02, 04:18 PM

I'm just going to wait for that machine which plugs directly into your brain.....
Old 09-16-02, 04:33 PM

yeah but don't you think the brain machine will only show Pan and scan? And no dts?
Old 09-17-02, 03:08 AM

I'll go one step further...and say that a proper anmorphic presentation on a high quality display looks BETTER than what I see in a movie theater. Yes...I know that 16mm film has tons of info and resolution that a DVD can't possibly have. But...every theater I visit (even new ones) have slightly blurry prints...with slightly washed out colors.
Old 09-17-02, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Freud
..every theater I visit (even new ones) have slightly blurry prints...with slightly washed out colors.
That's the problem with theaters right there, and why I don't go. If you see a film opening weekend, you're probably going to have a nice print. See one a few weeks later, it's going to be damaged film that will be starting to wash out, and possibly have scratches/nicks on it that the projectionist will try to hide by making it slightly blurry.

Not to mention that this crappy, hazy print is more than likely going to be shown on a dirty screen that has actual soda splashed on it!
Old 09-17-02, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cause they will all be released on Blue Ray eventually
DVD's are very cheap for all of the material a person gets.

Eventually is a long time and I am not holding my breath or my wallet waiting for the next best thing.

There will always be another "best" thing.
Old 09-17-02, 10:43 AM
Banned

Originally posted by namlook
DVD's look really good. There isn't much farther to go with old films in a new format. You can only make an older film look so good. Now maybe new films will see a significant benefit, I don't know.
Exactly. There is no point in replacing a bunch of films which are maxed out already on DVD. Only time will tell, but I really don't see myself replacing all my Monty Python DVDs just so I can say I have them on Blu-Ray, or whatever format is used in the future.
Old 09-21-02, 04:21 PM

...Yeah but didn't we all say that about our VHS tapes? I never would have ended up with the collection of videos I have had I known they would become obsolete so quickly. I have spent thousands on CDs and VHS tapes that now clutter my closets.
Old 09-21-02, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by milo bloom
It's a perfectly cromulent word.

Regardless, five years from now is, well, five frikken years! In the few short years we've had DVD, I have been exposed to all kinds of films I never would have seen without DVD. And I doubt the jump in quality will be the same as it was from VHS to DVD. I don't see it taking off like DVD did.
You have embiggened this thread with your cromulent reply.