DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Is the Sony Commander RM-AV3000 worth getting

Old 09-12-02, 03:47 PM

Is the Sony Commander RM-AV3000 worth getting

for those of you who have the product
does it work well?
currently I only have 3 remotes

samsung HD projection
JVC DVD
Denon reciever
Old 09-12-02, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

can't imagine what you'd need that the 900 or even the 700 (which i have) can't do.

www.remotecentral.com/remotes.htm
Old 09-12-02, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the av2100 and, so far, I like it a lot. I was considering the 3000 but it seems like the extras don't justify the $140 price difference (I picked up my 2100 for $60 on Ebay).

I had the JBL TC-1000 and I like this one a lot more. The touch screen is much more responsive, it's easier to see and, even though it's big, it's more comfortable to use (I just set it on my coffee table).
Old 09-12-02, 07:27 PM
Cool New Member

Re: Is the Sony Commander RM-AV3000 worth getting

Originally posted by syphon00
for those of you who have the product
does it work well?
currently I only have 3 remotes

samsung HD projection
JVC DVD
Denon reciever
Have it, LOVE it, Best investment I've made yet! Currently have 5 remotes in this room alone and it was driving me crazy. The set-up is very intutive, changing codes is a piece of cake, and the learning function works far better and easier than any other "learning" remote I have ever tried.

This particular model has 4 IR transmitters and I can point the thing directly away from any of my equipment and it still works. If the door to my office is open it even changes the chanels on the cable box in our living room!

The only thing I dislike about it is the screen which has a tendencey to collect fingerprints to the point of irritation!!

As Chess suggested, check out the review at Remote Control Central, it explains all the differences between this one and it's predecessors, as well as reviews of other alternatives available!

If you don't want to use all the macros and memory it has for learned functions the 2100 may be the way to go but all the extra macros and programability have allowed me to taylor it to work in all 3 rooms with remotes using the "other" function!!
Old 09-17-02, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have the 2100 and got rid of
-TV
-VCR (I know)
-DVD
-CD
-Receiver

The are alll in a box w/ no batteries. Once the 2100 was set up, I havn't used another remote for 18 mos.

Plus it does have the ability for a ton of Macros. I think the 3000 has better buttons for navigating throught DVD ( Lt, Rt, Up, Down, Enter) which I think is the main drawback of the 2100.
Old 09-18-02, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Think about how you use your remotes now. Whether you look at them or just go by feel. If you get a remote with a touchscreen lcd, you're going to have to look a lot more. I have a JBL Take Control and a $50 RCA universal and I prefer the RCA. I forget the model#, but it's the same one they sell for $50 at any Best Buy or Circuit City. It's comparable to the Sony or Radio Shack models in the same price range.
Old 09-19-02, 10:46 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would highly recommend the MX-500.

http://www.remotecentral.com/mx500/index.html
Old 09-20-02, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Roto
Think about how you use your remotes now. Whether you look at them or just go by feel. If you get a remote with a touchscreen lcd, you're going to have to look a lot more. I have a JBL Take Control and a $50 RCA universal and I prefer the RCA. I forget the model#, but it's the same one they sell for $50 at any Best Buy or Circuit City. It's comparable to the Sony or Radio Shack models in the same price range.
that's good advice...

and since you have only a few components, you can go much much cheaper and probably be quite content. i'd really take a look at the Sony 700 and 900 for $30-$50.
Old 09-22-02, 02:35 AM

MX-500 has made me a very happy surfer!
www.bluedo.com is where I got mine.
Old 09-22-02, 06:20 PM

I Jus got the AV3000 for about 100 bucks shipped!! You cant be mad at that, just search for it on pricegrabber.com, i couldnt be happier with it!! GO GET IT NOW!!! plus it matches my sony silver receiver and silver dvd player
Old 09-24-02, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since there is already a thread about this, I have this remote, and I was wondering if you are able to send custom codes in order to do region hacks.

I can't find anything about this in the manual.

Thanks
Old 09-24-02, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Try http://www.remotecentral.com/
Old 09-25-02, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have this remote and couldn't be happier. I bought it the day it came out, for around 200 I believe at BestBuy. At the time I was a bit sore on spending so much, but that thing has paid for itself 10 times over in my opinion. I'm probably picking up an additional one, for a Xmas gift for my dad, because he loves it so much, and still has problems figuring out how to turn eveything on at his place half the time.

My gf was never able to figure out how to turn on half the stuff, to watch dvds etc.. I setup all the macros, and labeled them clearly, so should could hit Run Dvd or whatever, and have the receiver come on, tv, dvd player, set the right view ratio etc. She now can do what she likes, without coming and making me turn it on for her..

I had about 6-7 remotes I believe, and I still haven't scratched the surface on all the stuff you can do with this thing.

I have two gripes about it though. 1. The screen gets fingerprints and dirt extremely easy(I also believe I have got a small scratch along the way) 2. Eats batteries up, or at least it does to me. You can modify the amount of time the the backlight is on, the settings on the intensity etc. which help, but it still seems to use batteries up quite quick. That's just my personal opinion, others may feel it does not.
Old 01-27-04, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey...I was going to buy this since I have a gift card at Best Buy. It's been out awhile, so I was wondering if I should purchase this now or wait until the new version (if there is one planned) comes out?
Old 01-28-04, 03:50 PM
colossus

Originally posted by dgc
I would highly recommend the MX-500.

http://www.remotecentral.com/mx500/index.html
MX-500 is, IMO, the best option.