DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Bose Acoustimass speakers - good or bad? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/235442-bose-acoustimass-speakers-good-bad.html)

Tsar Chasm 09-08-02 10:29 PM

Bose Acoustimass speakers - good or bad?

Right?

Wrong?

I for one have been "fooled" at a Bose demo and was astounded. Then I read the science behind them and read contradictions to the "science"

From what I understand, it all depends on your listening habits and listening environment.

skar 09-08-02 11:01 PM

Not this again!

Ok, before this thread gets locked, 99% of us believe that Bose products are overpriced. The build quality is still up for debate.

I been posting in this forum for over a year and I can't remember anyone recommending Bose speakers to someone who didn't at least own some Bose products already.

wiz 09-09-02 01:57 AM

Well I think they are ok speakers, but I think that my PSB Alpha B's (all 5 of them) outperform my brother-in-law's Acoustimass setup. By a long shot IMHO...I just get clearer sound and more range on my sound out of my speakers than he does.

bfrank 09-09-02 09:54 AM

Is this from the monster thread? If so, I will explain.

Some of you know I work in the industry and have been designing loudspeakers since 1987. My focus is in the mechanicals and I have a partner that has even longer history designing the acoustics.

I am far from a fan of Bose. In fact they are a thorn in my side. Think of how many times I hear “what do you think of Bose?” There is no doubt that the product is WAY overpriced for what you get. The real price for this kind of system is in the $300~$600 range. But Bose has done such a good job in marketing and product positioning that they are getting $1000~$2000 (depending on electronics). There is little doubt that any other speaker system in this price range will out perform the Acoustimass.

The problem is this poor value has some how grown into an idea that the product is crap and poorly engineered. This is just not true from our evaluation of the latest system. We have been making products that are targeted at the Bose Acoustimass. We have spent a lot of time looking at the design and have measured the system using a world-class facilities.

The system has a very flat response and does very well against other all in one systems that are in the market. Even those that are in the same price range. It is important to understand that in designing a powered system there is an advantage over stand-alone speakers. The use of EQ in the amplifier stage can help to flatten the response. Bose has used this to their advantage.

The actual drivers, while only 2.5” are very well engineered. It should be know that Bose has one of the largest engineering staffs in the business and they have many industry patents.

Bottom line is the system is very well engineered and actual does better then if should for its configuration, which is for a small full range driver. Any engineer would tell you the same. If the system sold for $599 it would be hard to argue against it.

If you look at the configuration and not the price there is very few systems that can touch the Bose (3” or smaller full range) This is mainly due to the EQ but this is just smart engineering. This is Bose strength because many people want the small for factor over high performance. In this category there is not much competition (in part due to Bose marketing dominance) .

Now if you look at price you could find many almost any system that will out perform the Bose. I think we all agree on this. I guess it was this that drove people to think the Bose is poorly engineered.

bfrank 09-09-02 09:55 AM

I edited the title to keep this open.

renaldow 09-09-02 09:57 AM

I don't think there's anything wrong with Bose as long as your building an entire Bose system. Most of their products sound good when used together. My in-laws have a Bose HT system, and while I wouldn't buy it, it does sound very good, probably better than most HTIB systems I've heard, even though the Bose is not surround.

The main problem I have with Bose is the price.

Tsar Chasm 09-09-02 11:00 AM

Thanks bfrank, yes this was from the monster cable thread, I just wanted you to have an outlet for your thoughts and wanted to hear what you had to say.

What you said makes perfect sense.

I don't begrudge a company for getting premium dollar for their product.

Brian Shannon 09-09-02 01:44 PM

IMHO this is the way to approach Bose.

Find a store that will have Bose setup so that they can be compared against other similar speakers.

If you can find such a store then you can do a comparison and decide for yourself.

I personally know of no such store and believe this is a major issue with trying to purchase anything from them.

skar 09-09-02 01:56 PM

Originally posted by Brian Shannon

Find a store that will have Bose setup so that they can be compared against other similar speakers.

If you can find such a store then you can do a comparison and decide for yourself.

I spoke to a HT store owner who wanted to do a setup like that, but he claimed that Bose wouldn't let him. He had many people calling to ask if they carried Bose. He wanted people to hear how much better KEF, Mirage, and Klipsch speakers sounded at the same price point.

Brian Shannon 09-09-02 02:01 PM

but he claimed that Bose wouldn't let him
Not suprising.

The only other option would be to purchase them and take them home to compare with some sort of 30 return policy in place.

Iz Splat 09-09-02 02:33 PM

I have an Acoustimass 6 speaker system. I bought them when I was first starting my H.T. I learned that you really need to do the leg work before buying any component. Having said that, I like the size and loudness of the speakers. Clarity is good (with hardwood floors). They are good not great. Do your homework before buying. Every situation is different. Hope that helps.

bfrank 09-09-02 03:06 PM

How does it happen that I am defending Bose :lol:

Somebody shot me :D

I think Bestbuy has the acoustimass set up in their listening rooms.

Bose Pro 09-09-02 04:15 PM

Best Buy, Circuit City, and Good Guys all have the Acoustimass systems in rooms with many other systems to compare too.

This is a real hashed-out topic... ... ... ...

bfrank 09-09-02 05:01 PM

Hey Jeff!

I was wondering if you would pop in!

Brian Shannon 09-10-02 06:42 AM

Originally posted by Bose Pro
Best Buy, Circuit City, and Good Guys all have the Acoustimass systems in rooms with many other systems to compare too.

This is a real hashed-out topic... ... ... ...

I have never seen any Best Buy that has anything that would qualify as a listening room. Static displays by themselves with canned material is not a demo room.

My local Circuit City has the Bose equipment displayed by itself not in the demo room.

I have never seen a Good Guys.

Again I would like to see a store with a dedicated demo room a/b this equipment. Volume comparators, multiple speaker setups, multiple amps, receivers and signal sources.

I try to be objective.

bfrank 09-10-02 09:00 AM

Best buy started remodeling a year ago to move from brand displays to speaker rooms.

Brian, you need to understand you cant switch amps on Bose speakers due to the "system approach" to design. Bottom line is you will find the Bose wont compete with the products you want to compare to. It will do very well against other HTIB and 3" (or smaller) sats. But against a good 6" 2-way it really cant stand a chance.

Bose Pro 09-10-02 07:22 PM

Bose does have 4 new Acoustimass products coming out in a few weeks, including one 6.1 system. They are taking over the older price points. Bose thus far is claiming that they will beat any other brand in the same price point - bar none. This actually took me back...I have never heard Bose officially make this claim. I have yet to hear the new systems as our store just recevied them. I will, again, give you my honest opinion of the new products when I have a chance.

bfrank 09-10-02 09:09 PM

Right now there are a lot of higher end HTIB with dvd that are near the Bose price (one from my company -eek- ) The Bose does very well against all of them. This is the point of my post.

Are the new systems going to introduced at CEDIA? I will be there.

bigE 09-11-02 10:46 AM

Just to add to the discussion, I have the Acoustimass 6 & echo the sentiments of others here: good but not great, & way over priced. Bass module is the weakest link IMO; don't like the cross-over either. I will say that I've noticed an appreciable difference by replacing the cube center with a VCS-10 center. As always, YMMV.

Movie_Man 09-13-02 11:52 AM

I also have an Acoustimass 6 setup that I won a few years ago, so it didn't cost me anything. For that price, I'm fairly happy with it.
However, this system is way overpriced. If I had actually paid for it, I would have been terribly disappaointed. The speakers are fair, but the bass module outright sucks.