Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Changing woofer: easy?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-02, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

I will be upgrading my ht speakers in the next 6-7 months, but it just isn't in the budget at this time. One of my current speakers (a big American Acoustic stereo speaker I've have had for years) developed a tear in the woofer, which results in an annoying perforated noise anytime there is deep bass rumble.

Can I buy a replacement woofer and add it myself? Is it an involved process?
Old 09-08-02, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Allow me to point you to Orange County Speaker Repair at www.speakerrepair.com . They do excellent work for very reasonable prices, and sell replacement drivers as well.

Looking at the Web site, they do recone speakers. They don't have your specific brand listed on the site, but if you call them they can quote you the price. Then it would just be a matter of pulling the woofer out of the cabinet (which is extremely easy), boxing it up and sending it in.

I had a pair of 10-inch Boston Acoustics woofers reedged for only $25 each and they're as good as new. I think with insured UPS both ways, the total was about $40 each. From the time I shipped the speakers out to the time I had them back was almost exactly two weeks.
Old 09-09-02, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
Thanks for the link.

I was hoping I could change the cone myself, as a temporary (re: cheap) fix until I replace the speakers themselves....
Old 09-09-02, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its very easy to change the woofer out yourself. Just unscrew all the screwes around the woofer, the speaker should fall out. Disconect the wires on the back of the old woofer and connect them to the new woofer. Make sure to not mix up positive and negative. Sotter it if you have to.
The only thing is that there is not guarantee that the new speaked will sound good in the old inclosure with an old crossover, because it might need more or less cubic volume for optimal sound and the corssover is set up for this woofer. In your case though, since its an old speaker anyway.. I'd just replace the woofer and not worry about it. But make sure to replace the woofer in both speakers for your sound to match. Let us know what speakers you used and how it sounds afterwards.
Old 09-09-02, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be aware, replacing the woofers is likely to cost more than repairing the existing ones, with no guarantee of how the new ones woll sound in the cabinet.