DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Questions about Wega, line compression, and RPTV

Old 09-07-02, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Questions about Wega, line compression, and RPTV

I have some technical questions that I haven't been able to answer on my own:

1) As I understand it, the Sony Wega and similar models (Samsung) of direct view TVs will compress the 480 lines of resolution when viewing widescreen, anamorphic, DVDs. Does this mean that one gets all 480 lines when viewing 2.35:1 aspect ratio movies or does it just refer to 16:9 (1.8:1) sources?

2) How, technically, is this accomplished? Do Wegas have smaller dots on the screen that can be used when the electron beam is compressed?

Do 16:9 widescreen rear projection TVs also compress lines when viewing 2.35:1 images?

Any help pointing me to answers to these questions would be appreciated.
Old 09-07-02, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

With a movie shot in 1.85:1, almost all of the 480 lines will be used for image. Because 1.85:1 is slightly wider than the 16:9 (which is actually 1.78:1, not 1.8:1), a few lines will be used by black bars at the top and bottom, but not very many. In fact, most 1.85:1 movies are slightly modified when transferred to DVD so they are 1.78:1.

The 2.35:1 ratio is wider than the 16:9 aspect ratio of a widescreen TV, so not all of the 480 lines are used for image.

In either case, you are getting about a third more lines used for image, though, so there is an advantage either way.
Old 09-08-02, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks, Mr. Salty, I thought that might be the case from the way vertical compression is always referred to as "16:9", but wasn't sure. It occurs to me that some manufacturers might want to do vertical compression on 16:9 widescreens to enable them to show 2.35:1 movies with all 480 lines. Perhaps some already do this, if anyone knows please say so.