Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Regarding 36" TVs for a relative....Advice desired....

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-02, 02:27 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My father-in-law is looking to get a 36 inch TV. He was thinking about a nice flat screen model (he currently has a good basic Sony 27). I said I thought Sony, Panasonic, Toshiba, all made great 36" TVs.

However, and here is where I need some advice, my FIL does not have surround nor a DVD player and may not do either. He has AT&T Digital Cable and occasionally rents VHS tapes.

So I feel comfortable in saying he doesn't need a high def capable TV like the Sony 36 hi-scan top of the line Wega at about $1900ish list.

And I now am thinking he may not necessarily need to spend the added dough on a flat screen. Given that he only has cable, likely will not go DVD/surround anytime soon, if at all, I think a good solid non-HD, Non-PIP, TV would be the way to go (flat or not).

So, what would you folks recommend given this info (and yes I am in the process of doing searches to go back into past threads, but wanted any new info too...)?

Thanks ahead of time for your help. My FIL's budget was going to top out around $2200, but that was when we were thinking projection and HD capable. So we're down in the $1200 range if we go flat or even less if we don't. That would be nice.
Old 09-05-02, 02:48 PM
Banned

I just got the 36" Wega without PIP which i don't need. That can be had for $1199 or less if you look around. I got mine from PC Richards for $850 which was QUITE the deal. I jumped on it. It's an amazingly wonderful tv that i've had ZERO problems with as of yet. Also has the ability to do anamorphic squeeze. Absolutely love it.
Old 09-06-02, 11:59 AM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

anyone else with thoughts?
Old 09-06-02, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think he would be just fine with a 36" non-flat TV like the Toshiba 36A62. (or the 36A42) It retails for $850. It has component video inputs and front panel A/V inputs.

A nice flat screen will just make VHS and digital cable look worse IMO. On the other hand, a nicer TV might make him switch to DVD quicker.
Old 09-08-02, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Well, Sony's KV32FS13 is a great flat screen with 16x9 squeeze and is going OOP. Most CC's have it on clearance for around $799. Otherwise maybe a curved JVC or Panasonic for around $700 would be nice.