Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Sony Wega & Progressive Scan??

DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Old 09-05-02, 11:22 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Sony Wega (or Vega if you want to be anal about it!) and wanted to know if using the anamorphic squeeze to watch DVD's if having a progressive scan DVD player would make any difference. If not, I will save the money and purchase a regular new DVD player.

Aslo, on another note my current DVD player doesn't support DTS (Hey, it's from '97!) Right now I have a DTS-compatible receiver, set up with a center speaker, and 2 fronts. With a new player, will I still be able to switch from DTS to DD, or do I need a complete 5.1 for DTS to work?

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-05-02, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
What size TV?

Does it make a difference? Yes but the bigger the screen the better.

I can notice slight differences with my 36 XBR 400 and my 700p progressive player.

I am not sure how much money you can save by buying a non-progressive player. If you TV takes it progressive players are under $200.00.
Old 09-05-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I honestly can't tell a difference on my 36" WEGA. But, as Brian mentioned, the price difference between progressive and non-progressive is very small.

Check overstock.com. They have progressives as low as $119. For $229, they have the JVC XV-FA90BK, which I own and am very happy with. It's a 7 DVD progressive changer with DTS. The only real down sides are that the remote sucks (I'm getting a universal remote to replace it eventually), and you don't have the ability to shuffle CD's/MP3's between discs (which I never use)
Old 09-05-02, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts
First question should be what kind of Wega do you have? Not all of them take progressive signals.
Old 09-05-02, 01:22 PM
Banned

I have the KV series, with the speakers on the bottom (I dont have the XBR). Does that mean a progressive scan player would be useless for me? (Even if there is not a huge difference in price, I can't see buying something I can't actually use).
Old 09-05-02, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Gabe666
I have the KV series, with the speakers on the bottom (I dont have the XBR). Does that mean a progressive scan player would be useless for me? (Even if there is not a huge difference in price, I can't see buying something I can't actually use).
If your TV cannot accept the progressive input then yes it would be useless.
Old 09-05-02, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it isn't an "HDTV-ready" set --- and it sounds like yours isn't --- then you can't use progressive scan.
Old 09-07-02, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I noticed on my Sony 36 inch, that when i turn ON the progressive scan on my DVD player, the picture looks a little zoomed in a couple of inches all aorund. But looks normal when i turn it off (interlaced?) WHy is that? Also the picture does look detailed and a little sharper on interlaced, but when the progressive is turned on picture is brighter, but a liittle soft and lacking on detail, but no jaggies or weird stuff like the shimmer on car grills. Please help. ( yes i am using Component cables.)
Old 09-08-02, 05:51 PM
mdX

ilikedvd:

your set has different settings (picture, overscan, etc) for interlaced and progressive inputs. you need to calibrate them both using avia/VE or some other calibration disc.
Old 09-09-02, 10:50 PM

I have a Sony KP57WV600 HDTV + a Sony Progressive dvd player + components video.

I notice a little blue outlining of some white-over-darker images. Why? I've gone through the converging procedure instructed in the manual with no help. Blue outlinening only noticeable about 3' away, but anoying knowing that's it's there. Any sugesstion?
Old 09-09-02, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ILikeDVD
I noticed on my Sony 36 inch, that when i turn ON the progressive scan on my DVD player, the picture looks a little zoomed in a couple of inches all aorund. But looks normal when i turn it off (interlaced?) WHy is that? Also the picture does look detailed and a little sharper on interlaced, but when the progressive is turned on picture is brighter, but a liittle soft and lacking on detail, but no jaggies or weird stuff like the shimmer on car grills. Please help. ( yes i am using Component cables.)
Oddly, I have the exact opposite experience. When I set my DVD player and TV to 16X9 mode, and turn OFF progressive, the image stretches to full screen. When progressive is turned ON, the image is displayed normally.

I really notice no difference in the picture between interlaced and progressive. But, the "shimmer on car grills" sounds like you might have your sharpness turned up too high.
Old 09-10-02, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i know this is off topic, but i want to start a thread on this. What do you call it when you adjust the picture, the horiz and vetical, in other words to shrink the picture a little so you can see 100% of the picture, corner to corner, from broadcast tv to dvd. JUST like when you adjust the H postion and V postion on your computer monitor. Wouldnt you hate to see just half of the start button or even your clock.?
Old 09-10-02, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ILikeDVD
i know this is off topic, but i want to start a thread on this. What do you call it when you adjust the picture, the horiz and vetical, in other words to shrink the picture a little so you can see 100% of the picture, corner to corner, from broadcast tv to dvd. JUST like when you adjust the H postion and V postion on your computer monitor. Wouldnt you hate to see just half of the start button or even your clock.?
Adjusting the overscan?