Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Aura Bass shakers, opinions ?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-02, 09:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking of buying some Aura Bass shakers to give that extra bass during my HT watching.

here's the link: http://www.aurasound.com/bassshaker/frameset2.html

i was looking at Model: AST-3B-4
They come with an amp and 2 shakers.

Does anyone have these ?
are they worth the $$$ ?

How would you install these, just place them under the seating position ? or should they be mounted to the underside of my couch ?
Old 09-04-02, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the smaller 25 watt version they have listed on the site and have found they perfrom very well, so I would only assume the higher priced line perfroms just as well. They are fine for heavy action movies, but if you are watching a drama or any other program non-action oriented they can become a bit of an annoyance.

As for mounting I would recommend mounting the underneath the listening position if possible to a solid portion of the chair/couch frame. Since my couch is a pull-out, I had to mount them to the front of the frame instead of directly under the listener, but found they still produce desireable results. I would not just throw the under a seat because the transducer needs a solid surface to make contact with to fucntion properly, not to mention it would be uncomfortable sitting on a bass shaker lump

J
Old 09-04-02, 09:19 AM

I have them installed on my Berkline chairs! Worth every penny, get them!
Old 09-04-02, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I was facing the same decision about 2 months ago. Ended up getting the 25 amp versions that come in the Aura Interactor Vests (got about 6 of them for like $35 total). Easily worth it. Have one mounted under each recliner on a piece of wood that is screwed into the frame of the chair.

It's real easy to turn these on and off depending on what type of movie you are watching, at least with the amps that came with the vests (they have a power switch). not sure if the stuff you are looking have power switches or not.

ebay is a good place to find the aura Interactor vests as well. A Torx screwdriver is all you need to crack them open, and a vest new in box will have the amp, the bass shaker and most, if not all, the wiring you need. I ended up needing two other interconnects but that was it.
Old 09-04-02, 10:31 PM

djbrown - Wow that sounds like a great solution. How many shakers come with the vest ?
Old 09-05-02, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by jas722
djbrown - Wow that sounds like a great solution. How many shakers come with the vest ?
One shaker and one amp per vest. You can do a search on either hometheaterforum.com or avsforums.com for Aura Interactor and you can find the info you need. Shipping is a bit much for these units, so keep that in mind when figuring out total costs. I got mine direct from a guy, and bought the last five units he had.

It's the exact same shaker and amp that the 25-amp units come with. Just packaged inside a hard plastic vest.
Old 09-05-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts
Got'em. Love'em. If you use a regular amp, don't forget to run them in series to get the proper impedence match. They are 4 ohms while most amps handle 8?. Running them in series will knock them down to 8 ohms.

Last edited by caligulathegod; 09-05-02 at 12:25 PM.