Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Are Monster brand cables really worth the high cost

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-02, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my friend recommand that I get Monster cables for all my new home theatre components, but do they really sound that much better than lesser brand name cables?
Old 09-02-02, 11:18 AM
Premium Member

IMO No,

For the most part its all marketing. However this is one of those controversial topics so...............
Old 09-02-02, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The short answer: No.

Monster cables are well made, but they cost too much. What cables are you looking at?
Old 09-02-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Seeing as how you didn't mention what type of cable, or what specific product you are asking about, it's impossible to give an educated answer on the matter.
Considering that Monster makes $19.99 cables as well as $199+ cables, any sort of blanket statement about them being 'overpriced' without even naming a product is ignorant, IMHO.

Of course, YMMV.
Old 09-02-02, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
No.
Old 09-02-02, 01:50 PM

I need the following cables

speaker wires
subwoofer cable
coxial cable for DVD

thanks
Old 09-02-02, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

nope... but they look cool! especially the PS2 blue ones.
Old 09-02-02, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For speaker wire:

Any solid, 12 gauge wire works great. Parts Express has some for cheap:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd..._ID=2792&DID=7

The digital coax output on your DVD player carries a digital signal, so it either gets there or it doesn't. An inexpensive cable will work fine and if it breaks it is cheap to replace.
Old 09-02-02, 03:11 PM
Banned

YES!!!

Go with Monster. This is a hot topic in this forum, but it has been a while. The honest truth is that it is different for every person. Do a comparison. If you can hear a difference, then go with the one that sounds best to you. If not, it doesn't really matter. The cables are for your enjoyment, not others. I personally could hear a difference and went with the Monster... I never regret it.
Old 09-02-02, 05:08 PM

Well for speaker wires, as skar said, any 12 ga. wire will probably do. Visual inspection is probably enough to see if it's worth it or not (does it look cheap or not). I've got Acoustic Research (AR) 12ga for the rear speakers.
I've got Monster Cable 16 ga. for my three front speakers since they're less than 6' from the receiver. The audio difference is nonexistent, or inmesurable to my ear. The only difference is the Monster cables for the fronts have much less insulation around the cable, and they're a lot more flexible (probably because of the 16 vs 12ga) which means they bend easier.
I've also got an AR cable for the sub, and I'm very happy with that one.
AR is cheaper and does just as good a job, IMO. I was just able to get everything in one place so I figured what the heck, I'll try AR.

For digital connections though, any Radio Shack cable will do. Digital is digital, no need to worry about crosstalk or attenuation affecting sound quality as much.
Old 09-02-02, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you want to test for yourself, just make sure it's a blind test. That is, have someone else do the cable switching for you in a random pattern. Write down your guess as to which cable is which and do not discusss it with anyone until the test is done.

In the end, if there really is a difference between the two cables, then your answers should match up with the actual pattern at better than 50%. If you're right around at 50%, that means you couldn't tell the difference between the two cables.

Of course, that is a greatly simplified version of what scientists and engineers do to try and account for the fact that humans are incredibly weak minded creatures when it comes to subjective evaluations. We are easily swayed by pre-conceived notions and unconscious biases. And no matter how independent anyone thinks they are, other people's opinions will influence them.
Old 09-02-02, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

Blind test is the only way.

I would recommend spending the money one cheaper cable and then with the savings look to highend speakers. There is no doubt that the speakers are far more important to sound quality then any other component. (IMO )
Old 09-02-02, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by syphon00
I need the following cables

speaker wires
subwoofer cable
coxial cable for DVD

thanks
Well, spending more for interconnects then the value of your system is pretty foolish, and since I will assume you aren't an audio/videophile, we'll go for some 'budget' Monster products:

Speaker wires:
(16g) Monster Cable S16-50 Standard™ Speaker Cable 19.99 (50')

(12g) Monster Cable HWMS-20 Hotwires 2 Speaker Cable 19.99 (20')

Subwoofer cable: Monster Cable I201SWHT Subwoofer Connection Kit (2.5 meter) 19.99

Coax: Monster Cable THXI100 DCX-4 (4ft) 13.43

These are just a few items I saw after looking for a few minutes. Not the be all end all product list by any means, and while there may be some cheaper products available (even other Monster brand) anyone that finds these overpriced needs to get a new hobby

Cheers.
Old 09-02-02, 09:36 PM

No. I think of Monster like I think of Bose: it's all just good marketing.

I've hooked up Monster side-by-side with AR cables and there is not a discernable difference. If you can tell one, more power to you, spend the extra money, but I sure don't see one.
Old 09-02-02, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
My entire HTS is wired with Monster, and I feel like I'm getting the best sound, pic, etc. Wheather real or not, it make me feel good about my system. My fave thing is my power strip/clean power center. IT made a marked difference (no noise pollution, static, etc)
Old 09-02-02, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by wedge
No. I think of Monster like I think of Bose: it's all just good marketing.
Except that Bose products are notably inferior to similar products costing far less money.

Monster cables may be overpriced, but they do well what they are supposed to do well.
Old 09-03-02, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Personally I believe that quality cable makes a difference.

I have cable from Monster, Transparent, Kimber and AR in both of my systems.

If for no other reason I like the build quality of Monster cable.
Old 09-03-02, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I tend to agree with Brian S.
Personally, I am using cables from Monster and MIT in my systems.
Old 09-03-02, 01:12 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z
Except that Bose products are notably inferior to similar products costing far less money.

Monster cables may be overpriced, but they do well what they are supposed to do well.

That's precisely what I mean. Monster cables are good, but when I can get a cable of similar quality for less than half the price, why bother? I don't mind paying more for a better product by any means, but I DO mind paying more for something just because it has a company's name printed on it.
Old 09-03-02, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by wedge
That's precisely what I mean. Monster cables are good, but when I can get a cable of similar quality for less than half the price, why bother? I don't mind paying more for a better product by any means, but I DO mind paying more for something just because it has a company's name printed on it.
I tend to agree with you, but the comparison to Bose still isn't fair. With Bose, you pay a lot of money and get a crummy product in return. Monster cables cost a lot of money, but they are at least good cables. So you're not being screwed over quite as badly.
Old 09-03-02, 03:30 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
IMO, no. I'm all for good cables obviously, but Monster is a bit extreme (especially the price).
Old 09-03-02, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Depends,

will you be watching superbit movies or not?

NN
Old 09-04-02, 07:17 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z
I tend to agree with you, but the comparison to Bose still isn't fair. With Bose, you pay a lot of money and get a crummy product in return. Monster cables cost a lot of money, but they are at least good cables. So you're not being screwed over quite as badly.
True...I see what you're saying now and you are right.
Old 09-07-02, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I doubt it...i think there may be some difference on the high-end stuff...but for the average person...Im not gonna spend more on cable than my dvd player costs
Old 09-07-02, 10:10 AM
Premium Member

Hate to do it but,

Some of you know I am a designer in this industry. I can tell you first hand that the Bose product is not "crummy" compared to other product of the same type (3" or smaller driver) it is equal to or better then almost all. I assure you from our own tests it is very well engineered. Bose is just WAY over priced.

Lets not hijack this thread with a Bose debate but I feel the comparision of Bose a expensive cable is spot on. Its a marketing job"."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.