DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   LFE - Current Sub vs. Purchasing a new one (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/233299-lfe-current-sub-vs-purchasing-new-one.html)

psulion01 08-29-02 07:23 PM

LFE - Current Sub vs. Purchasing a new one

Hey all...long time reader, first time poster. On to my question...

I've currently got a decent 5.1 setup in my home. Denon 2802 receiver, Paradigm Mini-Monitors as my fronts and rears, and a Paradigm CC-370 as my center. The sub however, is a Sony SA-WM20 (50w I believe, 8" woofer maybe?). The sub was given to me for free for setting up a friend's system (before I purchased my setup).

Trying to conserve money, I opted to pass on a new sub when buying my system. However, I hear everyone rant and rave about the LFE in movies, yet I'm never impressed with the bass track. I'm led to believe that the sub just isn't powerful enough. I get a rumble but rather than being crisp and detailed it just sounds over-worked.

So... I'm looking for some advice. Do I need a stronger sub? I've looked at the Paradigm PDR-10 and PDR-12 (trying to match it to my setup).

Thoughts? Any advice/feedback is appreciated!!

Mike

svadas 08-29-02 08:55 PM

I don't know the price point of the Paradigm subs you are looking at, but bang for buck, I've got to plug HSU and SVC subs. The cheapest amplified sub would be the $499 HSU VTF-2 and it will pump 25hz of musical quality bass through your room. It's not furniture quality finish or anything though, so if you are looking for that sort of thing, this won't work. It's a nice pebble finish though, I hide mine under my tv.

psulion01 08-29-02 09:38 PM

The paradigm subs range from around $350-$425 or so, give or take. Appearance isn't that important as I can hide the sub in the corner. Don't get me wrong, I don't want it to look terrible, but sound quality is tops on the list (for the price of course).

Also, could you explain the Hz frequencies a bit? Is lower better? Does it need to match my speakers/receiver?

TIA!
Mike

psulion01 08-30-02 03:00 PM

btt...

Anyone else have any advice on the subwoofer situation? Looking for the expertise of the other forum members! Thanks!!

skar 08-30-02 03:15 PM

I can't comment on the HSU sub because I've never heard it. But many people say it is an incredible sub for $500.

Matching a sub to your main speakers isn't very important, so I would go and audition subs from speaker companies like PSB, Paradigm, Def Tech, and Velodyne in your price range. Bring some DVD's with lots of bass driven effects.

Lower frequencies are more difficult to produce. The problem is that it is too easy to lie on spec sheets. Just let your ear be your guide. A $300-500 sub from a quality company is going to provide a huge improvement over your Sony WM-20.