DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   DVD Recorder opinions (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/233148-dvd-recorder-opinions.html)

Deke Rivers 08-29-02 11:00 AM

DVD Recorder opinions

I am in the market for a dvd recorder so i can have a vcr burning party..what are the differences ebtween the model from Philips vs. the one from Panasonic???

Steve Phillips 08-30-02 10:33 AM

Both are good. Philips is better, but more expensive. Why?

The Philips DVDR985:

1) has a firewire input

2) makes both one time use AND erasable discs that can play on regular DVD players

3) is sturdier made

4) is simpler to use

5) can play or record discs immediately

6) requires no finaliztion on DVD+RW and a short one on DVD+R

7) plays DVD-R, DVD-RW as well as recording DVD+R and DVD+RW

8) you can make cool menus with pictures

The Panasonic DMR20/30:

1) make erasable discs which will NOT play in regular players

2) harder to use

3) requires a lot of time to read discs upon insertion before playback or recording

4) requires long finalization for DVD-Rs

5) disc drawer is very flimsy and would seem to break easily

I have both of these and feel that each are good units, but if you want the better one, and making erasable discs which you play on other players is important to you, spend the extra money for the Philips. The discs are the same price now (under $4.00 for name brands at Best Buy and COMP USA when buying multi packs).

The Philips can be found for $800 and the Panasonic for $600.

P.S. SONY DVD players are great because they play DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD-RW)

punkass1276 09-02-02 02:57 AM

i was wondering if anyone knows about a crack for this Philips machine to disable Macrovision so I can copy DVDs or copyrighted VHS. Not to sell of course, but for my personal use.

stevevt 09-02-02 11:24 AM

Originally posted by punkass1276
i was wondering if anyone knows about a crack for this Philips machine to disable Macrovision so I can copy DVDs or copyrighted VHS. Not to sell of course, but for my personal use.
Personal use or not, this kind of discussion is expressly prohibited at DVDTalk. Sorry.

From here:

PLEASE READ THESE IMPORTANT RULES FOR THIS FORUM

The following is strictly prohibited on the DVD Talk Forum and may result in immediate account suspension:

• Anything that violates the trademark or copyright of another company including anything that may violate the Digital Millennium Copyright

highdef 09-02-02 05:54 PM

The Pioneer DVR-7000 or their industrial PVR-9000 are superior units. Both retail for around $2,000 and the higher ticket price,
as compared to the Panasonic & Philips recorders, are well worth it. I have yet to find other recorders, and I've tried most of them, that can match the sound & picture quality of these Pioneer units.

bfrank 09-02-02 06:37 PM

We have two threads going and as Steve has already pointed out this one has turn in the wrong direction.

Let move this all to the same thread
DVD RECORDER THREAD