DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Sony - Home Theater In A Box Feedback

Old 08-26-02, 09:43 PM

Sony - Home Theater In A Box Feedback

I have a 65" Sony Porjection TV.
I'm considering getting one of the Sony Home Theaters In a Box for my smaller living room (to tide me over until I buy a house and do a killer home theater). Do any of you have one? If so, which one do you have, and what are your thoughts?
They come with a DVD player. I'm wondering what the quality of those players is?
There is the HT-1700D for approx. $499. It is 80w x 5 receivers.
Then there is also a HT-5500D for approx. $599 which is 100w x 5 receivers.
Then, there is the HT-6500D for approx. $699 which is 100w x 5 receivers (but the DVD player appears to have a 5-disc changer).
Any feedback on these systems would REALLY be appreciated.
Old 08-26-02, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have the Sony DAV S300, and it was great for my old apartment, and it's pretty good in my townhouse now. We were watching Dude, Where's my Car? earlier this evening, and the giant alien girl's footsteps were shaking the sub pretty good.

The system comes with the DVD/CD player, receiver (I have my LD player and an N64 run thru it). It also has a digital in, and plug for an active subwoofer. It comes with five sattelite style speakers, and a passive subwoofer that still manages some pretty good LFE. It has DD and DTS 5.1 onboard, and does a pretty good ProLogic on my LDs.

My main complaint is that it won't play CDRs. I have to use my LD player, and I hate using up it's limited laserlife.
Old 08-27-02, 07:28 AM

I have the 5500d in the bedroom. It sounds pretty good, but I wish the 8" sub had a little more output. It is not bad by any means, but I have a 12" Sony in the living room and you really notice the difference. Picture quality is excellent, I only wish the dvd player had more timer options (it doesn't tell you time remaining, my other Sony player does). It has never froze up on a disc and plays any cd-r I've thrown in it. Whatever system you decide on, I would insist on a powered sub and stay away from the ones with a passive sub.
Old 08-29-02, 01:38 AM

I bought the HT-6500D and replaced the five disc changer with a progressive scan dvd player. The sound if fine but not fantastic compared to other HT in a box. I have a Magnavox system that blows this sony one away. Since I only use the Sony Ht in my little room, the lack of power works towards my advantage. Do not get me wrong, the sony ht is a worth if it is temporary and the space you have is not big.