DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Are Banana Plugs that important? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/232143-banana-plugs-important.html)

METALLICA05 08-25-02 04:07 PM

Are Banana Plugs that important?

Went to radio shack to get them banana plugs for my speakers, even the cheap ones were 7 bucks, and thats for 2 of them.
That means if i want to run all 5 speakers from my receiver it will
be 100 bucks. Are they that important? The speakers sound
pretty good to me without em.

DVD_O_Rama 08-25-02 04:57 PM

They are important if you plan on moving speakers and/or hardware around and need the convienence of an easily removed/connected speaker.
I tend to have new gear coming and going frequently, as well as regular cleaning and maintainence and it makes it alot easier to remove the speakers from the amp without much fuss.

duy37 08-25-02 05:04 PM

banana plugs help ensure a better connection is what my manual says

METALLICA05 08-25-02 08:10 PM

so they don't make my speaker sound better?
if it just for moving stuff around and cleaning, its not worth
100 bucks.

edclem 08-25-02 09:10 PM

they won't affect the sound quality. They just make connections (or more to the point reconnections) easier.

gotapex 08-25-02 10:21 PM

People generally use them for 2 reasons:

1. Make connections more solid
2. The copper in wires tends to oxidize very very quickly when exposed to air. So when you have bare ends, you have only a few weeks before they oxidize and reduce sound quality.

If this doesn't bother you or you don't mind cutting off the bare wire and stripping up a section every few weeks, you should be fine.

Mr. Salty 08-25-02 10:31 PM

You paid way too much. I got a set of eight (good for two speakers) Monster Cable banana plugs at Best Buy for $13. All five speakers cost me about $30.

TheKobra 08-25-02 11:37 PM

If you bi-wire speakers you usually use banana plugs. That is the way I have my system setup. Bananas out of my Sony DA5ES bi-wired to my speakers w/ Bananas. I think they are worth the price. As Mr. Salty said "Best Buy for $13.00" is a good price.

METALLICA05 08-25-02 11:54 PM

whats the difference betwen pins and bananas? them best buy
plugs are pins.

Mr. Salty 08-26-02 03:17 AM

Originally posted by METALLICA05
them best buy plugs are pins.
No, the Best Buy plugs that I bought are banana plugs. They aren't dual bananas because my receiver won't accept dual bananas (duals are one piece with two tips, like an electrical plug), but they're still bananas.

I don't see the 8-pack on the Best Buy Web site, you might actually have to go to the store.

I think Best Buy also carries Acoustic Research (AR) bananas for a very reasonable price.

Brian Shannon 08-26-02 07:10 AM

Originally posted by duy37
banana plugs help ensure a better connection is what my manual says
Well that depends.

If they are locking banana plugs I would agree. If not then spades on a screw down terminal would be my first choice.

METALLICA05 08-26-02 10:32 AM

Ill get some today at best buy

bfrank 08-26-02 01:28 PM

Bannana are two connections (wire - plug and plug - componenet)

Where with out you only have one (wire - componenet)

bjhess 08-26-02 05:01 PM

PartsExpress.com may have more reasonably priced ones, too.