DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

New DVD player exposes pre-unnoticed EE

Old 08-25-02, 03:49 AM

New DVD player exposes pre-unnoticed EE

My Pioneer DV-333 died and got a replacement player from futureshop. The new one is Toshiba SD-2800. I use Acoustic Research component cable connect it to my JVC iArt 27". Put in hidden dragon SB, notice some EE which wassn't visible on my TV before. Then put in usual suspect special edition, a lot of unbearable EE which never bothered me before. Then I thought, maybe I should adjust some settings for the new player, after 10 mins, nothing helped. All right, put it in my PC, following is one of the EE scene.

well, that's because of the disc. So what about the final fantasy, many reviews think it has reference quality and EE free. I spot the EE right from the beginning, around 1:06.

With only a 27" TV, EE never bothered me. But this new DVD player makes all the EE visible. Is it a good thing or bad thing? Is there something wrong with the DVD player?

Last edited by Raxel; 08-25-02 at 04:01 AM.
Old 08-25-02, 08:36 AM

Uhm.. I know this is going to sound really lame... but what is EE ??
Old 08-25-02, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...to learn all about the dreaded EE go here...

(...well... you did ask!...)

. . . . . .
Old 08-25-02, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm sorry, I know all about EE and I even went to the site that Hendrik provided but I really don't see the big deal in this, am I alone here?
Old 08-25-02, 10:38 AM

Hmm..I always thought EE was the litte line that is sometimes at the top of the film...not the line that seperates the picture from the "black bar" but literally a line that almost makes a lil bit of the top picture spill over into the "black bars"...

What do I know...
Old 08-25-02, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fortunately my eyes are too bad to notice this. I've watched Godsford Park and I still can't pick it up. I wish they wouldn't do it, but I since I don't notice it unless I freeze frame its not too big of a deal for me.
Old 08-25-02, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Goat3001
I'm sorry, I know all about EE and I even went to the site that Hendrik provided but I really don't see the big deal in this, am I alone here?
No.
Old 08-25-02, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

EE tends to be much more noticeable on high end setups like front projection, 65" widescreen HDTV's, etc.
Old 08-25-02, 03:33 PM

That was my original question. EE is not supposed to be noticable on a 27" TV. But this toshiba player makes it so obvious. Is it a good thing or bad thing, btw those EE really annoys me.
Old 08-25-02, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Raxel
That was my original question. EE is not supposed to be noticable on a 27" TV. But this toshiba player makes it so obvious. Is it a good thing or bad thing, btw those EE really annoys me.
WEll if it annoys you then I suppose it's a bad thing right? I'm not sure what you want from us on this one....if you can see it and don't like it then it's bad. Otherwise, it doesn't matter. I don't really understand what you're looking for in terms of a response to this 'question'. ??

For the record, i've never noticed EE and am of the opinion it's more of a technophile's problem....no big whoop in other words. but that's just me.
Old 08-25-02, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe the Toshiba produces a sharper image than other DVD players. This is probably the reason the EE is more easy to see.
Old 08-25-02, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by bgills

WEll if it annoys you then I suppose it's a bad thing right? I'm not sure what you want from us on this one....if you can see it and don't like it then it's bad. Otherwise, it doesn't matter. I don't really understand what you're looking for in terms of a response to this 'question'. ??

For the record, i've never noticed EE and am of the opinion it's more of a technophile's problem....no big whoop in other words. but that's just me.
I wanted to know if this is a problem of the player or just because the toshiba outputs sharper image than pioneer players.

Thanks darkside for answering my question.
Old 08-25-02, 04:38 PM

Most DVD reviews report "some" or "slight" edge enhancement. In these cases, if you don't have large screen HD set (and in most cases even if you do) you have to be very picky to notice the EE. There are some exceptions of terribly over enhanced discs where anyone that doesn't notice the halos should probably have their eyes checked, but those DVDs are rare.

But in addition to the DVD's image being encoded with some excessive level of EE, some DVD players and TV sets (mostly HD sets) will add their own edge enhancement. They'll market it as providing a sharper image, but it's really just EE. Many of those sets and players will allow you to disble or reduce the EE. It may be through use of sharpness adjustment, it might be some other specially named feature, or in some cases it is buried somewhere in a service menu.

In the case of the higher end Toshiba's I know EE can be disbled. If there are picture enhancement modes or sharpness controls on your player you may find that these will help to minimize or eliminate the EE you are seeing.
Old 08-25-02, 05:13 PM
Admin Emeritus

Moving to Hardware.
Old 08-25-02, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wanted to know if this is a problem of the player or just because the toshiba outputs sharper image than pioneer players.

Thanks darkside for answering my question.
Right...I figured that out - eventually

I would guess it's not a 'problem" with the player, but the 'benefit' of having a newer player. And as JimCook said, I would wander through the set-up options and see if it can be turned off.

If it's new, you can always trade it back in for a different one(brand/model, etc), no?
Old 08-25-02, 10:34 PM

Originally posted by bgills

Right...I figured that out - eventually

I would guess it's not a 'problem" with the player, but the 'benefit' of having a newer player. And as JimCook said, I would wander through the set-up options and see if it can be turned off.

If it's new, you can always trade it back in for a different one(brand/model, etc), no?
It's a replacement for my dead pioneer dv-333. If I bring this back, I don't have many choices.

I played shrek today, video quality amused me more than before, No EE, No any noise. Direct digital transfer owns all film transfers.

Last edited by Raxel; 08-25-02 at 10:37 PM.