DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

When Will DVD Recorders Come Down in Price?

Old 08-23-02, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

When Will DVD Recorders Come Down in Price?

They are about $1000 now, correct? At least the Phillips is which I hear is good.

Well, does anyone know when these recorders will come down in price so everyone can have one? I want it not just to record TV shows but to convert shows or football games I have on VHS to DVD. I've heard you can even edit and make chapters with your DVD reocorder so it sounds good.

Anyone know how long we'll have to wait
Old 08-23-02, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

NEVER MWHAHAHHAHHAHAH MWHAHAHAHAH MWHAHAHAHAH

They'll come down when the demand for them gets higher and more companies jump into the DVD recording groove. You got about a year or 2.
Old 08-23-02, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Prices have been cut roughly in half during the past year or two. I think you're probably going to see them in the $800 range during the next year and we might even hit the magic $500 number within 2 years.

That's my guess anyway... I'm going to start seriously considering one in about 2 years, when prices are semi-reasonable and they've had a few years to tweak with the recording algorithms.
Old 08-23-02, 04:46 PM

Question: do any of the current recorders support anamorphic widescreen. I'm assuming yes, but you never know...
Old 08-23-02, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think they can do 16x9, but I'm not positive.

Also, I was just in Best Buy, and I could have sworn I saw a DVD recorder for $799. I'd have to check again.

Also, these things were like $2000 when they first came out just a few years ago, and now they're half that. DVD players started out at $1000, but were quickly down in the $300's. What I really want to see is one with a harddrive built in so I can transfer my LDs and edit out the side breaks.
Old 08-23-02, 05:18 PM

Originally posted by milo bloom
What I really want to see is one with a harddrive built in so I can transfer my LDs and edit out the side breaks.
You don't have to wait for ones with a harddrive... panasonic has non-linear editing built in to their DMR-E30. It also has a msrp of $699.99, so I am pretty sure you can find it for cheaper.
Old 08-23-02, 05:20 PM
Admin Emeritus

Moving this DVD hardware question to DVD Hardware.
Old 08-23-02, 05:40 PM

Originally posted by dreamsas

You don't have to wait for ones with a harddrive... panasonic has non-linear editing built in to their DMR-E30. It also has a msrp of $699.99, so I am pretty sure you can find it for cheaper.
About $550 shipped.

Ripper
Old 08-23-02, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm thinking I'll wait for the ~$300 range. I can do without until then.
Old 08-24-02, 08:58 AM

I just got the philips one and I must say its worth every penny of the $1000 I paid for it.
I know I could have gotten it online at

http://www.discount-electronic.com/?source=overdvdrec16

for $750 but I got it right away I got an extended warnty on it

the thing is magic!!!
I can copy stuff from tape and there is NO GENERATION LOSS
its an exact copy!
disks are about $3 each for DVD+R and EVEN AT LP SPEED NO SIGNAL LOSS AT ALL

I got cute little boxes at
http://www.cyberdisk.org/smalldvdbox.html

and a brother p-touch label maker and they look great on my shelf

Sure Im still gonna buy the Retail DVD's you cant beat the extras and the quality and the graphics
but now I have some great shows that I can only dream will come out on DVD now!

I love the darn thing!!!
Old 08-24-02, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How are they for recording TV programs?
Old 08-24-02, 01:53 PM

You know Renaldo I havent tryed it yet
when I got the recorder I also purchased a VCR and A seprate TV just for the recorder.
its all in one nice little package.
I couldnt hook it up to my regular TV cause I have a ton of other stuff hooked up to it.
In my area you NEED a Cable box to get anything besides the most basic of channels so I cant run a cable from the wall to my Recorder.

I can only guess that it must be good at it
Old 08-24-02, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know how far we can take this conversation, but I have several Star Wars VHS sets, each with a few different little extras, that I would want to compile on a DVD, simply for ease of use. Can you record pre-recorded VHS? Or is there a macrovision issue?

Again, not bootlegging, just compiling.
Old 08-24-02, 10:48 PM

Well I know someone close to me *wink* that has recorded VHS copy protected tapes to DVD
SHe has a S capable VCR and it seems to work well for her.
so far she has copyed THe wizard of speed and time and Half the RObin of sherwood series

Now she is basicly a good girl and will buy them on DVD the second the come out but till then she wants them on DVD.
now this is actualy legal as they are copy of movies she owns for her own personal use and as backups
if she were to sell then she would have to give all copyes and the origanals in the deal or destroy the copys

if she has the copy right info correct

but yes it seems to work well
and if it dosnt she can fall back on the video stabelizer she got off e-bay
Old 08-24-02, 11:21 PM

I've seen them on eBay for around $300.
Old 08-25-02, 10:39 AM

Be carefull about $300 recorders
they call a DVD VCR combo a DVD recorder but its actualy a DVD player and a VCR recorder NOT a DVD recorder.
Also A few friends of mine have purchased DVD recorders for there computers and the few that did find softwhere that did work had a hell of a time getting it to work and when they did it took about 6 hours to record a 2 hour movie.

if you do go the computer recorder route get the updated Nero program.
my one friend that has gotten the computer DVD recorder to work says thats what he finaly found that would work.

good luck and rember
it plays great looks great but owning a store bought studio made DVD is far better!
lots of extras
good packaging
and susports the art
Old 08-25-02, 03:08 PM

renaldow:

I have the Panasonic DVD recorder and it records off cable TV very easily and well. It is as easy as setting up a VCR for timed recording. And, it does recognize a copy protected tape and will not allow you to record without any possible enhancements. I would not expect any additional, significant price drop for a year or two. I recall the CD recorders dropped in price to around $350 or so and stayed at about that price for two years or so. I believe they are still at $299. I paid $578 for my Panasonic DVD Recorder. I've seen a few places with a slightly better price.

Last edited by LarryB; 08-25-02 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-25-02, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So far as DVD recorders being able to reproduce ANAMORPHIC images - that depends upon the master being 16x9 enhanced in the first place. If you are taking about copying pre-recorded DVD's, which is illegal by the way, you can't. The copy-protection prevents dubs from being authored to a DVD-R disc.

I have mastered DVD-R's commerically for my production company
from DVCPRO & HD masters, from images that were shot and edited in ANAMORPHIC widescreen. I am using the Pioneer PVR-9000 recorder (a commerical $2,500 unit) and have had incredible results. Questions are circle around being able to record in 5.1 surround. Again that all depends upon your master and authoring software and if your recorder is capable of 5.1 in the first place.

PC burners, in my opinion, are completely inadequate unless you are purchasing an authoring system costing many thousands of dollars. The $1000 or less consumer priced units (Philips & Panasonic come to mind) are good, but have many visual and audible limitations and I have at length spoken about them in other threads. So long as people recognize that these units are
glorified, digital VCR-type recorders that offer DVD copies of content, and that they may not always be fully-backwards compatible for playback over all DVD players, we are all on the same page. Hell, Disney can't even claim that their professionally manufactured discs will play over all DVD players.

As for the prices coming down on the "better recorders," don't count on it for some time. I am convinced that the industry doesn't want consumers to have the ability to manufacture perfect digital copies (of anything) in the comforts of their own home. It doesn't matter if all that they are creating are home movies for transfer to DVD-R. Unless you spring for a unit like the Pioneer (even the consumer version: DVR-7000 is around $2,000)
what you're likely to experience is utter disappointment when you view your final recording.

You do get what you pay for and recordable DVD's are no different.

Last edited by highdef; 08-25-02 at 09:11 PM.
Old 08-25-02, 10:39 PM

I might be wrong, but there's no D9 or D18 blank discs now. So if you want to use it backup your DVDs, still a long time to wait.
Old 08-25-02, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Toshiba just came out with a new model DVD-Recorder in Tokyo, it has a built in 80GB HDD, connects for DV camcorders, S-cards, and a few others with support for either DVD-Ram or DVD-R.

The price is 110,000 yen, so about $900 US, seems like a good deal, I'll probably pick it up in a few weeks.

-g
Old 08-26-02, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If I transferred my old VHS tapes onto DVD, won't the sound and picture quality be junk though?
Old 08-26-02, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by criptik28
If I transferred my old VHS tapes onto DVD, won't the sound and picture quality be junk though?
GIGO
Garbage In, Garbage Out

As you're making a digital copy, it should be no better or no worse than your source material. So the only thing people converting their SW VHS to DVD are going to get is no chance of their VCR eating their original edition THX widescreen tapes. Making an LD backup would of course eliminate the side flips, and LD has a considerable increase in quality over VHS, so they'll look better than a VHS>DVD, but still not as good as a professional DVD.

This is all of course assuming you are strictly making backups, and nothing else.
Old 08-27-02, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i'm going to go out on a limb and disagree with the majority opinion here. i think the price on these units will start to come down significantly in the very near future. remember, we're not talking about high definition images here. the dvd format (in it's current 480p format) is only an interim technology. in 5 years it will be obsolete. slowly but surely the nation is switching over to high definition. it is happening. and when we get there we won't want to watch (or record) anything in less than 720p, 1080i, or hopefully one day even 1080p. why would we want to watch dvds in standard resolution (480p) when almost all content will be available in HD? we won't. bottom line is they will have to sell this technology now while they still can. i've heard rumors of an HD-DVD format for 3rd or 4th quarter 2003. that may be optimistic, but it will come eventually.
Old 08-27-02, 10:28 AM
Banned

Originally posted by broadwayblue
i'm going to go out on a limb and disagree with the majority opinion here. i think the price on these units will start to come down significantly in the very near future. remember, we're not talking about high definition images here. the dvd format (in it's current 480p format) is only an interim technology. in 5 years it will be obsolete. slowly but surely the nation is switching over to high definition. it is happening. and when we get there we won't want to watch (or record) anything in less than 720p, 1080i, or hopefully one day even 1080p. why would we want to watch dvds in standard resolution (480p) when almost all content will be available in HD? we won't. bottom line is they will have to sell this technology now while they still can. i've heard rumors of an HD-DVD format for 3rd or 4th quarter 2003. that may be optimistic, but it will come eventually.
OK...while i agree that HD-DVD will be pushed pretty heavily...DVD has caught on faster than ANY OTHER electronic medium. People are buying DVD's like there's no tomorrow and it's only growing at this point. To say that it'll be obsolete in 5 years is something I wouldn't bet on. Look how long it's take for people to adapt to something new past the VCR. I have a feeling DVD is here for a VERY very long time to come. HD-DVD might come out and compliment what we now know as DVD....but most people aren't going to re-buy all of their titles that they've accumulated in their collection just because something new came along. I sure won't. I did it with laserdisc-->DVD because it was affordable and cheaper. But I doubt it'll be the same for HD-DVD. You can't get much cheaper than DVD right now unless it's VHS.

As far as the recorders are concerned...I am all over the recorders! Supposedly the price is going to drop to $400 for the holiday season and i will definitely buy one for that price.

Last edited by digitalfreaknyc; 08-27-02 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-27-02, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc

As far as the recorders are concerned...I am all over the recorders! Supposedly the price is going to drop to $400 for the holiday season and i will definitely buy one for that price.
does that count as significantly?

i agree that as far as the masses go it will be a while before dvd is obsolete...my 5 year estimation may prove to be a bit off. but most of us here will have access to a decent number of HD channels through our cable providers by the end of this year, and even more by the end of next year. by that time (end of 2003) most of us enthusiasts will probably have an HD compatible set of some sort. and we won't want to watch movies on dvd when they are available on HBO (or possibly VOD) in much better quality.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.