Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Question about DTS laserdisc

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-02, 01:31 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a laserdisc player from the pre-DTS days of 1991. It nevertheless has an optical ditital out (I presume this is for an outboard D/A converter). My reciever has optical inputs and DTS decoding. Can I hook the player up to my reciever through the optical ports and hear DTS laserdiscs? Or was it necesary to have some kind of DTS capable LD player (just as with DVD players)?
Old 08-29-02, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
You're good to go! Just select to play the digital track off the LD, and the LD player will send the dts bitstream through the optical output, and your receiver should be able to decode the dts bitstream.
Old 08-29-02, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No RF demodulation?
Old 08-29-02, 04:00 PM
Banned

I don't believe RF demodulation is neccessary with DTS. It was only neccessary with Doby Digital/AC-3.

Are you sure I am "good to go"? I ask because I'm used to DVD where in order to play a DTS DVD you have to have a DTS compatible player. Even if you are using an outboard DTS decoder you have to have a DTS compatible DVD player to listen to DTS. My laserdisc player is not labled DTS compatible, and in fact was made BEFORE dts hit the market.
Old 08-29-02, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Pants
I don't believe RF demodulation is neccessary with DTS. It was only neccessary with Doby Digital/AC-3.
That's correct. Dolby Digital is a pain to implement on laserdisc, but DTS is very easy.

Are you sure I am "good to go"? I ask because I'm used to DVD where in order to play a DTS DVD you have to have a DTS compatible player. Even if you are using an outboard DTS decoder you have to have a DTS compatible DVD player to listen to DTS. My laserdisc player is not labled DTS compatible, and in fact was made BEFORE dts hit the market.
That was a firmware problem with early DVD players (I believe every DVD player currently on the market will output DTS). Laserdisc never had this compatibility issue. Any LD player with a digital output (coax or optical) is "DTS-capable".

What's fun is trying to deal with a first-generation DVD/LD combi player like the DVL-700, which will output DTS on laserdiscs but not on DVDs!
Old 08-29-02, 04:37 PM
Banned

Thanks a lot.

Now who can recomend some good DTS laserdiscs? There weren't that many.
Old 08-29-02, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's the list:

DTS Laserdiscs

I have a lot of these.