DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Is my DVD player broken?

Old 08-21-02, 04:14 AM

Is my DVD player (panny rp62) broken?

I recently bought a progressive scan Panasonic rp62s since i will be getting getting an hdtv eventually.

After hooking it up to my Sony VVega 36FS and turning on progressive scan, the picture gets scrambled up completely.
Is this supposed to happen on non-HDTV tvs? Although I'm not using an HDTV and won't for a year, I want to make sure that this dvd player will be able to do so when I need it, otherwise I'll exchange it for a new one.

Last edited by junglist19; 08-21-02 at 04:23 AM.
Old 08-21-02, 05:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Uh, I hate to state the obvious, but progressive scan does not work on a TV that is not capable of displaying a progressive signal. Set the player to interlaced for now, then switch to progressive when you get the HDTV.

I am positive, as in willing to bet real money, that this was covered in the DVD player's owner's manual.
Old 08-21-02, 10:21 PM

Thanks for the sarcasm, I needed a good laugh at work.

Uh, I thought it was obvious in my post that I understood that progressive scan wouldn't work on a non-HDTV. Hence, the first sentence "I recently bought a progressive scan Panasonic rp62s "since i will be getting getting an hdtv eventually".

What I wasn't sure of was whether the picture would look the same as it would be with it set to interlaced or if the picture would be scrambled like I stated.

And......I did read the manual and it did state that the tv had to accept a progressive scan signal to make use of it. It also stated that a scrambled picture could be caused by incompatabilities with the tv and copyprotection, etc. Which is why I decided to ask the question in the first place.

But anyway, thanks for your condescending help. LOL.
Old 08-21-02, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by junglist19
But anyway, thanks for your condescending help. LOL.
Any time.
Old 08-22-02, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The mind boggles.

If you think you were being condescended to in this thread, please take some time and think about whether or not a Web-based community is right for you.

Closing thread.

Please don't ask for help and then complain once you receive it. It frightens and confuses me/others.