DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   help me choose a receiver (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/230431-help-me-choose-receiver.html)

yanhao 08-18-02 04:41 AM

help me choose a receiver

Hi,

I am taking the advise from other members to put off my speaker upgrade. In stead, I am spending that money on a new receiver. I currently have a Kenwood VR4080. It's very nice, but I want to get one with new standards support. My minimum requirement are:

DD/DTS/DPL2
6.1 support
5 speaker surround porcessing for CD stereo
learning remote
at least 70 watts per channel power

So after reading reviews and specs, the following receivers fall into my radar screen. They are all very nice according to reviews. It sucks that all the stores in my area do not have good setup for listening. So maybe you guys can tell me which one I should go with. Right now the Onkyo TX-SR600 looks like a winner, price wise.

Denon AVR-2802 $523
Onkyo TX-SR600 $472
Yamaha RX-V1200 $596
Harman Kardon AVR520 $657 (it has build-in SPL!!)

There are other cheaper ones from other brands like Pioneer and JVC. Are they comparable to the above ones?

Thanks!

huzefa 08-18-02 09:42 AM

I for one believe that the Pioneer VSX-811S is comparable to all of those mentioned above. It has all the features you could ask for and component switching to boot (which I don't believe the Denon has). Take a look at it online, or try your local bestbuy and see if they have any open box 850S in stock.

gotapex 08-18-02 07:20 PM

What speakers are you driving with the receiver?

All of those choices are great receivers, though people tend to have their own preferences. I personally like the AVR520 (I have an AVR8000). However, at $419 shipped, the Onkyo is probably the best value of the group you mentioned.

skar 08-19-02 02:52 AM

You might also want to include the Onkyo SR-700 which is also available in the $650 range. Nothing against the SR-600, it is just unfair to compare it to the next price point up in the other companies lines.

Also like gotapex said, it depends how much power your speakers crave.

skinsfan 08-19-02 06:24 AM

You should look at the Yamaha HTR5490, it is the same as the AVR1200, except it doesn't have preamp inputs.

I saw it for $535 at this site http://stores.yahoo.com/dvt2000/yamhtwit51ch.html

(i BOUGHT IT 2 MONTHS AGO AND WAS LOOKING FOR ONE LAST PRICE MATCH)

Overall, I'm pretty happy with the unit. It has pretty good power, from what I understand it is rated quite conservatively compared to some that measure peak power and has quite a few enhanced modes for home theater.

I'm also very pleased with the remote. In about 10 minutes, you can get it set-up to get rid of your DVD, Digital cable, and vcr remote (as well as my air conditioner).

Good luck.

yanhao 08-20-02 06:11 PM

I finally got the HK AVR320. It's great!! More features than I ever wanted and very very good sound. I was worried that it does not have enough power (rated 55 watts/channel). It turns out more than enough for my energy take 5 speakers.

Only complain is the remote, it sucks big time. tiny buttons whose arrangement doesn't make any sense. Few learnable key, not enough for all essential keys for my replay tv. But I guess for the sound and good look, I'll bare with the remote.

gotapex 08-20-02 06:28 PM

Originally posted by yanhao
I finally got the HK AVR320. It's great!! More features than I ever wanted and very very good sound. I was worried that it does not have enough power (rated 55 watts/channel). It turns out more than enough for my energy take 5 speakers.

Only complain is the remote, it sucks big time. tiny buttons whose arrangement doesn't make any sense. Few learnable key, not enough for all essential keys for my replay tv. But I guess for the sound and good look, I'll bare with the remote.

If you think H/K remotes suck, you should try a Denon. ;)