DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DVD A question - is it worth it?

Old 08-13-02, 10:00 AM
JFM

DVD A question - is it worth it?

This is posssibly a silly question, and may even have a very simple answer, but it's something that has been bugging me.

Now that DVD A titles are appearing on the shelves, I am just curious as to exactly what the actual difference in sound is on a DVD A mix to , say, a 5.1 sound mix.

The reason I ask is that I have a live concert DVD that has a bonus track that is mixed in 5.1, and I have just read of a new bunch of DVD A titles that are due to be released shortly, that will also contain 5.1 surround sound mixes.

The point is, why can they not just release 5.1 mixes of CD's on CD, or even DVD? Is DVD A significantly better? I must confess I have not actually heard one play yet.

But I am just wondering whether we are wasting our time running out and buying DVD A compatible players, when a 5.1 surround mix on a standard DVD player ( through a decent surround system, of course) may sound equally as good.

Anyone out there have a DVD A player who can let me know what they think?
Old 08-13-02, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

They are different. DVD-A is high resolution audio (encoded at 96Khz/24bit).

The difference between DVD-A and regular CD or surround CD can be astounding.

It comes down to how much you are in to music whether or not it is worth it to you. It's definitely worth it to me.
Old 08-13-02, 11:48 AM
JFM

Thanks, that's the sort of response I was looking for.

I do like to hear my music presented as well as is possible, and I have had my DVD player for nearly 2 years now, and am thinking of upgrading, and just wondered if DVD-A is the way to go.

What is the range of software like so far though? Bear in mind I am in UK, so it may be different where you are. I have not seen many titles yet here in the UK.
Old 08-13-02, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

On a typically DVD, audio tracks take up a relatively small percentage of space. On a DVD-Audio disc, the entire DVD can be used for audio.

Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 use sampling rates of 48 kHz. Both use lossy compression.

DVD-Audio allows for sampling rates of up to 96kHz for 5.1 and 192kHz for 2-channel. It also allows for lossless compression.

Most DVD-audio discs are "Universal discs", meaning they have a DD or DTS track also included.

Are you wasting your time/money buying a DVD-Audio player? There are now several DVD-audio players in the sub-$250 range. It is hard to argue with being prepared for the future, but I wouldn't purchase one unless I was already in the market for a new DVD-Video player.
Old 08-13-02, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by JFM

What is the range of software like so far though? Bear in mind I am in UK, so it may be different where you are. I have not seen many titles yet here in the UK.
Here is a listing of DVD-Audio recordings by release date:

http://www.digitalaudioguide.com/dar...releases02.htm

I've read that there is no Region Encoding for DVD-Audio. (I would highly recommend double checking this before you buy) So you could order online from any source.
Old 08-13-02, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Skar...there is indeed no region coding for DVD-A discs. Couple pointers for those looking to get into DVD-A.

1. I just picked up the Panasonic RA-60 DVD-A player from ww.6ave.com for $117 plus shipping on clearance. This is only an interlaced player, but you will be hard pressed to find a DVD-A player, much less a very good interlaced player for anywhere near this price.

2. For those looking for titles, CircuitCity.com carries all of the Warner titles for 13.99. If you buy 2 or more titles, shipping is free. This is currently the best deal going for DVD-A media. As a comparison, many of the discs going for 13.99 are still over 20 bucks in Best Buy stores (they have been slow to recognize the Warner MSRP reduction). You can only get DVD-A from Circuit City online...they will begin to have displays in their stores next year.

Hope this helps some others looking to get into DVD-A on the cheap.

Justin