Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

CONSUMER ALERT: Daewoo DVD-5700 not compatible with LOTR

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-02, 03:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fellow suckers take note: the Daewoo DVD-5700 all region DVD player skips and eventually stops on the Fellowship of the Ring feature disc at around the 1:10 mark (shortly after Frodo wakes up in Rivendell). I know it's not a defective disc, because I put it in my PlayStation 2 and it worked fine.

This is not the first time that this machine has let me down but by God it will be the last. Never knowing whether or not you'll be able to watch a DVD from start to finish is far too steep a price to pay for all region capability. Time to get a Malata.
Old 08-06-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts
I've had great luck with my Apex's. I know they aren't the MOST reliable, but I've had no problems with the 2 I've owned. (Other that the seamless branching issues with my AD-600a loophole one)

AD-600a
AD-1500 (Works great)
Old 08-06-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched the entire movie Saturday on my Daewoo 5700, and I had ZERO problems.
Old 08-06-02, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here we go again with someone claiming DVD player or disc manufacturered bad when they have no substanciated proof! Just because YOU are having problems doesn't mean a player or DVD is defective! Post that you are having a problem with whatever DVD with a specific DVD player and see if it's isolated to you or a manufacturer's defect.
Old 08-06-02, 06:28 PM

The DVD wouldn't load at first and it stopped less than half way through the movie; that's all the "substanciated proof" that I need. Don't believe me? Tough excrement.

Perhaps the DVD gods simply hate me.
Old 08-06-02, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,802 Likes on 1,125 Posts
Originally posted by Frank S
Here we go again with someone claiming DVD player or disc manufacturered bad when they have no substanciated proof! Just because YOU are having problems doesn't mean a player or DVD is defective! Post that you are having a problem with whatever DVD with a specific DVD player and see if it's isolated to you or a manufacturer's defect.

I think he siad HIS machine had problems...not all DAEWOOS

And if he's saying he had problems...from his point of view isn't that the substantial proof?
Old 08-06-02, 08:26 PM

Had a problem on my Apex AD-500 too.

In almost two years of having my Apex, I have not had any major problems until LOTR.
About an hour into the movie I start getting freeze-ups and pixilation problems, this lasts on and off until about the 1:35 mark, and then it plays fine to the end.
So about 35 minutes or so are bad on the disc, anybody else have this problem?
Old 08-06-02, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Giantrobo
I think he siad HIS machine had problems...not all DAEWOOS
Sorry, I agree completely with Frank S. Did you not read the title of the thread?

Just because your DVD player didn't play the disc doesn't mean the entire model run of players is incompatible. These "consumer alert" threads are becoming tiresome.
Old 08-06-02, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still have no idea why some movies aren't "compatible" with some players. Unless of course there is no one industry standard being employed.

Old 08-07-02, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Re: Had a problem on my Apex AD-500 too.

Originally posted by DVDeadite
In almost two years of having my Apex, I have not had any major problems until LOTR.
About an hour into the movie I start getting freeze-ups and pixilation problems, this lasts on and off until about the 1:35 mark, and then it plays fine to the end.
So about 35 minutes or so are bad on the disc, anybody else have this problem?
Yes, I got the same problem playing on my RCA-RC5125P player. It happen around Chapter 13 when Sam,Merry and Pippen burst into the room confronting Strider at the Prancing Pony, suddenly the picture start to get pixilation and the audio become struttering. I tried playing it on my PS2 but it only got much worse. It played ok on my computer DVD player, still I rather watch this on my Sony 24" Vega than my puny 13" computer monitor. I going back to exchange it, but I got a feeling that I'm going to get the same problem.
Old 08-07-02, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Re: Had a problem on my Apex AD-500 too.

Originally posted by dom56

Yes, I got the same problem playing on my RCA-RC5125P player. It happen around Chapter 13 when Sam,Merry and Pippen burst into the room confronting Strider at the Prancing Pony, suddenly the picture start to get pixilation and the audio become struttering. I tried playing it on my PS2 but it only got much worse. It played ok on my computer DVD player, still I rather watch this on my Sony 24" Vega than my puny 13" computer monitor. I going back to exchange it, but I got a feeling that I'm going to get the same problem.
do you have the sony dvd remote and the new drivers on the ps2?

or are you just using the older drivers without the sony remote?
Old 08-07-02, 03:31 AM
Uber Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Captain Harlock
I still have no idea why some movies aren't "compatible" with some players. Unless of course there is no one industry standard being employed.

There's an industry standard, but many of the special features aren't strictly designed or adhered to.

Then there are the variables of manufacturing defects...both in the players and the DVDs.

If you have a disc that doesn't play, and you can't find a lot of complaints about that disc with your player on a forum like DVDTalk, then I'd try the following:

1. Clean the disc. Just because it's factory sealed doesn't automatically mean it's clean.

2. Try a different disc in your player to make sure it's still working. Try to make it a movie with similar features (ie anamorphic, dual layer, DD 5.1, DTS).

3. Try the disc in another player if you can. If it works there, then it's likely that there's a problem with your player.

4. Try unplugging your player for a few minutes, or, if you can wait, an hour; then try the disc again.

The next steps are more of a pain in the ass:

5. Exchange the disc. You might have just gotten a bad or iffy disc. If it's not too hard to do an exchange, it doesn't hurt to try.

6. If you can, try the disc in another player, but one that's the same model as yours...maybe it's just your player, and not the brand.

7. Try to find out if there's been a firmware upgrade for your player. If so, think about upgrading...it might solve the problem for you.

8. Well, I can't really think of anything else, except that I can't see players getting much cheaper than $100, so I expect that the low end players will start getting better instead of cheaper starting next year....so your next player will likely be better than what you have now.

Also, try to stick with the big names: Sony, Panasonic, Samsung, Pioneer, Toshiba...they aren't perfect, but a lot of people have them and it makes it more likely that you'll see reports of problem discs when they happen.

I've had my Toshiba 3109 since mid 1999 and I've had my share of problems, though I don't think I've ever had a disc where the movie won't play unless it was a bad disc. On the other hand, I still haven't seen the special features from the Godfather trilogy.

Hope a new disc helps.

-David
Old 08-07-02, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Had a problem on my Apex AD-500 too.

Originally posted by gcribbs

do you have the sony dvd remote and the new drivers on the ps2?

or are you just using the older drivers without the sony remote?

I played it without the sony remote, as for the drivers the version I have is 1.20U, so it must be the older drivers.
Old 08-07-02, 04:59 PM
Premium Member

Blade-