Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Are all JVC XV-S500 DVD players modified the same or are there different ones?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-02, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I found that there is different information about the JVC XV-S500 DVD playerns out there.

220-electronics.com even says this:
"Variable Aspect Ratios
This CODEFREE Progressive scan DVD PLAYER will output video in 4:3, letterbox and 16:9 aspect ratios. Also the expert menu allows xy and pan adjustments to fine tune the picture."

This is way different from what other pages say. I was also confused by the mail I got from DVD Talk. This is what it says:

"The JVC XV-500/502 offers nearly all the features of the Malata except for x-y scaling. JVC's top-quality construction is legendary, and this is our top-recommended player if you will not be playing anamorphic PAL DVDs."

But then if you follow the hardware linke on the hkflix page you get the following information:

"The JVC XV-S500/502 offers nearly all the features of the Malata except for X-Y scaling. Besides the Malata, this unit is the only region-free player on the market today that plays anamorphic PAL DVDs in their correct aspect ratio. JVC's top-quality construction is legendary, and this is our recommended player if you want a high quality "play-anything" DVD player that is simple to use and a dream to operate."

I really need to know now which information is correct. The information on playing anarmorphic widescreen is totally different.

Can somebody tell me if there are different versions of the JVC XV-S500 out there or how does it come that everybody says something different and what is correct now.

Thanks,
Dirk
Old 08-06-02, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The 220-electronics description is wrong. The JVC does not allow x-y scaling. I had asked a similar question on this same topic when I was trying to decide between the JVC and the malata. The JVC does have a zoom mode where it auto-scales the picture for you, but it does not allow precise x-y scaling as the Malata does.

Moreover, i have not heard good things about 220-electronics and specifically the one major complaint I read was that they do not describe the product correctly. I would go with hkflix.
Old 10-24-02, 02:16 PM

so does this mean the players at hkflix are modified?
i'm assuming they are since they are about $100 more than the ones at a b&m store like best buy.
it's just that the hkflix site doesn't mention anything about modifications though it's the only place that states these can play PAL DVDs.

Last edited by entitee; 10-24-02 at 02:19 PM.
Old 10-25-02, 07:18 AM

it's definately modified dude

The JVC XV-S500/502 offers nearly all the features of the Malata except for X-Y scaling. Besides the Malata, only region-free player on the market today that plays anamorphic PAL DVDs in their correct aspect ratio.

http://www.hkflicks.com/hardware/

and I know it's suppose to play PAL cuz I have the unmodded
ver and it says so in the manual
Old 10-25-02, 10:44 AM

so i guess that means even though your unmodded version says it should play PAL it doesn't?

thanks for the info.
Old 10-25-02, 11:16 AM

no I never said that, but I'm unable to test it because I can't get a hold of a region free PAL disc
Old 10-25-02, 12:04 PM

ok i got confused.
all i want to know is what's the reason for the big price difference for this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/Detail.asp?m=...at=&e=11101882

and this:

http://hkflix.com/hardware/jvc_xv-s50x.asp
Old 10-27-02, 01:05 AM

It is very very simple:

The difference is that the one at Best Buy is Region 1 only and the one we sell will play DVDs from any region.

NOTE: Note all modified JVCs are the same. Most of the other guys buy remanufactured or refurbished units from electronics wholesalers, then modify them. We buy JVCs direct from JVC and modify them. Also, the modification process varies. We use proprietary techniques, hardware, and firmware, which we believe will ensure RCE compatibility and reliability.

Regards,
Jeff
HKFLIX
Old 10-28-02, 11:06 AM

thank you very much.
i'm planning on getting one from you guys soon.