DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

DTS problems

Old 08-01-02, 10:16 AM

DTS problems

Hi all -

You guys helped me in the past so I'll give it a shot.

I am having problems hooking up my system for DTS sound. I had it hooked up for a while and may have missed the DTS hook up. I have a technics receiver and Panasonic player. Both have DTS stamped on them and I believe they each have decoders.

Problem is that I can't get DTS sound. The digital surround is great but whenever I put in a movie and choose DTS - there is no sound. I have the fiber optek (?) line connected from the player to the receiver. I noticed last night that I do not have an "S" line hooked up -

is this the problem? Any other suggestions? I can get more specfic when I get home tongiht but any thoughts would be great!!!
Old 08-01-02, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

S is the video. You should use the S-Video or the component video Do not use the yellow video!. Do not use the red and white RCA plugs for audio. If the red and white are hooked up then pull them out and try to get the audio from the fiber optic hook up. Its probably a setting on your receiver...
Old 08-01-02, 10:48 AM

I have it all hooked up with the red, yellow and red plugs - I also have the fiber optek line hooked up

So are you saying I should be able to get audio with just the optek line? I guess I should purchase an S line - does that go to the receiver as well?

I have read the manual on my receiver and it says the DTS decoder works automatically when on - is therer a sep line for DTS -

Thanks for the help!!!
Old 08-01-02, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"S" is for video only.

Audio if connected properly could be several things. Check to see if your DVD player has any DTS settings in its menu.

Check to see if your receiver has an "autoformat" decode and set it to that. the fiber optic cable is correct.

Also be sure that the DVD has a DTS soundtrack, not all do.
Old 08-01-02, 01:05 PM

When I had an RCA 5220P DVD player, you had to select DTS from DVD players menu before it would pass on a DTS bit stream. (Don't ask me why the DVD player should care.)

Check and see if your player has such a requirement.
Old 08-01-02, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kiddnets
I have it all hooked up with the red, yellow and red plugs
These are the analog connections.

You will want to use S-video for the picture (assuming your TV has that type of input), and the optical connection for the sound.

There may also be a coaxial digital sound connection, but I think that might confuse you so use the optical instead.

Once you have a digital sound connection (optical cable), you do not need the red and white analog cables. So, basically, just two cables are needed in all: S-video direct to TV and optical direct to receiver. That's it and you're done.

(Oh, plug it in too.)
Old 08-01-02, 02:15 PM

Thanks guys - I have been clueless -

I have had the optik line connected along with the analog plugs - I have been getting digital sound but I guess the plugs were not necessary.

Not sure if the S line can go into my TV directly - if not i'm sure my receiver has a slot for it.

The DTS is weird - no setting except a "digital" button on the receiver and instructions said it was automatic. The player switches to DTS option but when I do it has no sound. I'll tinker tonight and let you know - any other suggestions for DTS would be welcomed - I guess it wasn't the hook up after all!
Old 08-01-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by horatiodude
When I had an RCA 5220P DVD player, you had to select DTS from DVD players menu before it would pass on a DTS bit stream. (Don't ask me why the DVD player should care.)

Check and see if your player has such a requirement.
This was true for my Panny RP-56 and RP91K.
Old 08-01-02, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by kiddnets
Thanks guys - I have been clueless -

I have had the optik line connected along with the analog plugs - I have been getting digital sound but I guess the plugs were not necessary.

Not sure if the S line can go into my TV directly - if not i'm sure my receiver has a slot for it.

The DTS is weird - no setting except a "digital" button on the receiver and instructions said it was automatic. The player switches to DTS option but when I do it has no sound. I'll tinker tonight and let you know - any other suggestions for DTS would be welcomed - I guess it wasn't the hook up after all!
1) It's better to have the Svideo cable go directly from the dvdplayer to the TV

2) You said your receiver does decode DTS but you better make sure (What is the model ?). If it is able to decode, then make sure it is on the DTS setting (aka make sure it is set to decode DTS signal). After that, make sure your DVD player is set to output DTS (mine wasn't, I had to manually change the setting).

That should do it. Let us know how it works out.
Old 08-01-02, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Also pull out the red and white audio cables and throw them away!!! you do not need them. If you were getting sound from those you were not watching your movie in DTS or DD5.1.
Old 08-01-02, 07:32 PM

Here is the correct answer!!

The DTS sorround have 5 separate channels so when you hook up your system with the RED AND WHITE cables the system is SHORT on data. So Everything has to be transfered from the dvd player to your reciever by a digital output, JUST a simple cable. The sound is transfered in bitstream not "Sound".
Here are the steps
1) "S" cable is for Video, forget about it it doesn't matter for dts setup
2) Unplug the Red and White cables and conect a single one in the output that says "DIGITAL OUTPUT"
3) Set your DVD. In Panasonic Dvd: Stop whatever your playing and press the ACTION button in your remote.
Choose in the "Digital Output" menu for: PCM DOWN CONVERSION set off; Dolby Digital set BITSTREAM and DTS set BITSTREAM.
The go to the speaker config and set up the MULTICHANNEL config corresponding to your gear.
4) Set your Reciever; usually is on the INPUT SELECT where you have to set the digital input where the dvd "gets in". E.g. OPT 1 for optical one or COAX1 for coaxial 1
And cancel the Analog input.
5) Select Auto in the input selector (outside the input config and only if your reciever has this option)
6) Consult your Manuals for more details because the bitstream can harm your ears and speaker if its not properly setup
Old 08-01-02, 08:50 PM

You guys rule!!!!

I found the hidden menu - not explained well in the manual to turn on the bitstream for digital sound. Wow! I had Bose speakers and never experienced what they could really do the past few months! Thank you!!!

The bad news - I purchased an S line to hook up my TV and one of the pins broke - by the time I returned it the store closed! Oh well! Tomorrow will I experience a big upgrade in picture? Cool!

Also - I have a Bose sub woofer but it is passive - is there any way to make sound come out? Dumb question but what the heck

Thanks again!!!
Old 08-02-02, 08:34 AM

Also - I have a Bose sub woofer but it is passive - is there any way to make sound come out? Dumb question but what the heck
Your receiver should have an option to redirect the subwoofer track to your mains.
Old 08-02-02, 01:47 PM

about the Sub

I think that your sub doenst have a low frec filter. if it doesn't just conect your reciever's LFE preout to the input. Another Posibility is to conect the stereo output (VIDEO) from your reciever to the sub. Or another one is to pass the front cables through your sub (specific inputs by the way)(usually in powered subs with a filter such as polk audio rm6000-6200 etc), if you do this you should set your reciever for NO SUB and LARGE fronts.
maybe your sub does not have a frecuency amplifier so i think you should buy one and conect there the LFE outjack but ?????