Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Pronto TSU-2000 is it worth it

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Pronto TSU-2000 is it worth it

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-02, 05:36 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pronto TSU-2000 is it worth it?

I already have a Sony 2000 and I am looking at the Pronto 2000 and just trying to decide if its worth switching? what is the opinion of everyone?

Last edited by TeGiD; 07-28-02 at 09:39 PM.
Old 07-29-02, 02:48 PM
ngp
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Its an awesome device and does everything!
HOWEVER....
I have the 1000 and I never use the thing because I don't have the time to program it and play with it, and its bulky and unconfortable, and my 8 in 1 Universal remote that cost $24 does everything I need it to do including a couple of macros and my lights. I'm always fearing of dropping it, smashing the screen, spilling something on it, etc....I don't worry about my $24 remote.
Old 07-29-02, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Sony RM-AV2000 is a great remote. Do you feel limited by it?

I prefer high-end hard button remotes like the Home Theater Master MX-500, but everyone is different.
Old 07-29-02, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have both a Sony AV2100 and an older Marantz 5000 (same as the Pronto). They’re both great, but quite different. The Sony works fine out of the box and w/in it’s limitations can easily control a complex HT. It’s simple to use and easy to setup. It’s key weakness is that the screens aren’t customizable—thus the screens are product, rather than activity based. For example, if you’re on the DVD screen and you want to adjust the sub volume, you have to switch to the Receiver screen. Not a huge deal, but....

The beauty of the Pronto is that you can create activity-based screens that include the most used functions from a combination of devices. This saves time and improves usability. It’s also easy to create customized interfaces for different users—I have one for me, one for the spouse, and one for friends that include station logos for all of the popular cable stations. The one for friends only has 4 options: Listen to a CD, Watch TV, Watch a DVD, and Turn Everything Off (access to all underlying controls except volume, TV channel, and DVD transport functions are disabled). If you aren’t into tweaking (and perhaps coding) then the Pronto will not be a good fit. I spent about a week building my initial interface and then prob’ another week or so refining it. It was a lot of fun.

In sum, they’re both great products, but difficult to compare as they fill different needs.