DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Question about connecting PS2 to TV (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/225460-question-about-connecting-ps2-tv.html)

criptik28 07-27-02 12:38 PM

Question about connecting PS2 to TV

I just got a PS2, and wanted to take advantage of the S-Video connection (with my old PSX, I just plugged in the composite leads into the front of my VCR). What's the easiest way for me to be able to plug in my PS2 without unplugging my receiver, DVD player, etc.? Can I buy some sort of adapter that will allow "switching" between different audio/video inputs?

Currently my TV receives S-Video from my receiver, composite video from my VCR, and has composite audio outputs to my receiver.

criptik28 07-27-02 12:45 PM

Alternatively, can I just connect the PS2 directly to my receiver? (E.g., using an optical cable and S-Video/composite?)

skar 07-27-02 12:54 PM

Originally posted by criptik28
Alternatively, can I just connect the PS2 directly to my receiver? (E.g., using an optical cable and S-Video/composite?)
Bingo! If your receiver has multiple S-Video inputs plug everything into it. That way you get a great S-Video picture, ease of switching with the receiver remote, and most importantly, much better sound quality.

criptik28 07-27-02 01:30 PM

Originally posted by skar

Bingo! If your receiver has multiple S-Video inputs plug everything into it. That way you get a great S-Video picture, ease of switching with the receiver remote, and most importantly, much better sound quality.

Got it! I'll get the PS2 S-Video cable an optical cable then. Are all the games in 5.1?

Icculus 07-27-02 01:40 PM

Originally posted by criptik28

Got it! I'll get the PS2 S-Video cable an optical cable then. Are all the games in 5.1?

There's actually only a few games with 5.1 sound (some have DTS in game, some have DD cutscenes).

discostu1337 07-27-02 02:26 PM

actually, PS2 cannot do 5.1 at all I dont think, only XBOX can. Theres a handful of PS2 games that do some dolby surround audio, but not many. I just put everything in 6CH stereo on my receiver, that way it comes out of all the speakers regardless.

Icculus 07-27-02 02:29 PM

Originally posted by discostu1337
actually, PS2 cannot do 5.1 at all I dont think, only XBOX can. Theres a handful of PS2 games that do some dolby surround audio, but not many. I just put everything in 6CH stereo on my receiver, that way it comes out of all the speakers regardless.
No, the PS2 can do 5.1 sound. EA sports games (like NHL 2002 and SSX Tricky) all have in game DTS sound. Other games (like Metal Gear Solid 2 and Final Fantasy X) have DD 5.1 cutscenes. All games that have a stereo source are capable of prologic (or PLII) sound.