DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Does this sound like a good in-wall speaker? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/225438-does-sound-like-good-wall-speaker.html)

TheKobra 07-27-02 09:47 AM

Does this sound like a good in-wall speaker?

These speakers feature polypropylene woofers with butyl rubber surrounds for longer life. Moisture resistant swivel mounted tweeters allow for placement flexibility, as the tweeters can be directed as you choose. AudioSource in-walls, with easily painted white metal grilles, invisibly deliver high fidelity sound for home theater or multi-room audio.

8 inch polypropylene woofer
2.5 inch midrange
1 inch dome swivel tweeter
100-watt power handling
28 Hz - 24 kHz frequency response
90 dB sensitivity
14.5 x 10.67 x 3.5 inches
Mounting template included
$269.95 pair suggested retail

Now I can get it for $75.00.

audrey 07-27-02 01:59 PM

Specs like those you listed are virtually meaningless in terms of predicting how a speaker will sound. Your best bet is to stay w/ respected manufacturers. Many now produce a line in wall/ceiling models.

edclem 07-27-02 03:22 PM

I've never heard this particular model, but I've never been very impressed with AudioSource.

Granted, you'll have to pay more for them, but B&W make some excellent in walls that are under $400/pr.
In the end, if you can swing the extra budget, I'd advise that you spend more initially and get a better product.

FYI: B&W are not available (with warranty) online. You'd need to go to a local authorized dealer.

JimRochester 07-27-02 08:42 PM

When I auditioned in-walls I was very disappointed. Even with $1200 pr B&W's the sound just couldn't fill the room like a good box speaker. I was bummed because I am tired of my tower speakers taking up so much floor space.

TheKobra 07-28-02 12:35 AM

I was going to use them for my Rear Center speakers. I currently have Atlantic Technology rear speakers that just Kick A$$. Just really didn't know what to look for as for in wall speakers.

I know there are not many 7.1, 6.1, DDES, or DTSES DVD out right now. I currently know of zero 7.1 DVD's.

What do you guys thinks?

Go for the 7.1 hook up now or wait and go 5.1 and do the 6.1 or 7.1 at a later date?

Thanks for any help!!!

DVD_O_Rama 07-28-02 12:10 PM

Originally posted by TheKobra
I currently know of zero 7.1 DVD's.

What do you guys thinks?

First, there are no 7.1 DVDs, as there is no format for this.

Secondly, do you <i>have</i> to go in-wall for these speakers? Why not buy another pair to match your existing Atlantic Technology speakers?

skar 07-28-02 12:52 PM

Originally posted by TheKobra

Go for the 7.1 hook up now or wait and go 5.1 and do the 6.1 or 7.1 at a later date?

I would go 6.1 at most, but I believe that 5.1 is enough for now, especially if you can only afford inexpensive in-walls.

macsax 07-29-02 01:55 AM

In walls are primarily used when real estate/footprint (i.e. the amount of usable space), or aesthetics are an issue. By nature they are not as well controlled in their operation due to the fact they are mounted into a wall where many variables come into play. That being said there are some decent models out there and a tip for better performance is to get a factory specified back-box. A back-box is an enclosure that the unit mounts in to give a more controlled speaker system. If the back-box can be anchored to the studs this will be even better.

As far as brands go I highly recommend auditioning several models and manufacturers. Check out some of the local independents or custom install specialty stores if you have them in your area.