Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Cheapest projector?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheapest projector?

well, all the projectors I see out there are LCD and mad expensive. Someone told me that maybe you could get an analog projector cheap... Is this possible? I'm not looking for state of the art picture or anything... just something to watch that wont take up much space. any thoughts?
Old 07-25-02, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm guessing by analog projector that you mean a CRT front projection unit. You can indeed find old, used CRT units for a few hundred dollars, but I don't know if they'd be a good idea. For one, they're not that small, not like LCD or DLP units anyway. They're dim so you'll need complete light control. Also they require a fair amount of upkeep in the way of picture adjustments. Finally, buying a used one is like buying a used car. If you don't know much about CRT projectors, you could easily get ripped off.
Old 07-25-02, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ahhh if only i had thousands of dollars
Old 07-25-02, 03:38 PM

The Panasonic TH-AE100 can be had for less that $2k and the picture is fantastic for the price...
Old 07-25-02, 03:49 PM

Here are some screen shots... Keep in mind the screen is anywhere from 5-9 feet wide, and the picture is better in person than on your monitor.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0+screen+shots

Plus the other advantages are this projector is a helluva lot easier to move than a RPTV (6 lbs Vs. $250 lbs).
Old 07-25-02, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, if picture quality isn't a huge issue, there are a lot of old LCD projectors floating around that can be had for well under $1000. Lots of businesses that are upgrading to new, smaller and lighter presentation projectors are dumping their old units. Not that I recommend buying one there, but if you search ebay for "lcd projector" you'll find that many go for as little as a few hundred dollars.

These units are all the older models that are about the size of a breadbox and weigh around 15 to 20 pounds. That's about 1/3 the size and weight of the smallest/lightest CRT projectors. They'll be brighter than a CRT, but to get an acceptable image, you'll still have to get the room fairly dark, i.e. well below levels needed for comfortable reading.
Old 07-25-02, 04:27 PM

LCD and DLP technology has come a long way in just a year or 2, so I wouldn't look too hard at last yesterdays technology.

Since when isn't PQ a big issue??? The downside, of course, with any front projector is the light control...
Old 07-26-02, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I would save your money. Projectors are getting much better very fast, and you don't want to invest say $500 and a lot of time to get a picture that is borderline unwatchable. In 18 months or so, things might be different.
Old 07-26-02, 08:51 AM

Yes for $500 it would be very difficult to purchase a good quality projector, but for $1500 - $1800 (the cost of a decent RPTV) you can get a nice 8 foot high quality picture.

You live life once, and if all you do is sit on the side line and wait then you'll be in the grave before you know it...

A/V technology changes like computers, a matter of fact HT-PC's are probably soon going to replace Receivers and Seperates one day. My advice is to BUY NOW and enjoy it, you'll never regret it. You'll only regret NOT buying it and enjoying the benefits of TODAY's technology.
Old 07-26-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jinhopark
Yes for $500 it would be very difficult to purchase a good quality projector, but for $1500 - $1800 (the cost of a decent RPTV) you can get a nice 8 foot high quality picture.

You live life once, and if all you do is sit on the side line and wait then you'll be in the grave before you know it...

A/V technology changes like computers, a matter of fact HT-PC's are probably soon going to replace Receivers and Seperates one day. My advice is to BUY NOW and enjoy it, you'll never regret it. You'll only regret NOT buying it and enjoying the benefits of TODAY's technology.
I agree with you, but moorehed in his two posts in this thread, seemed to be looking for a very cheap pj and I think that would be a mistake.

I doubt that HTPC's will replace/include quality amps in the foreseeable future, because nice amps are very large, very heavy, and have heat issues of their own. I doubt many people want 70-100 lb. computer cases with two dozen fans. HTPC's are great video sources though.
Old 07-26-02, 10:40 AM

I beg to differ on on the HTPC comment...

Digital Compact Amplifier technology with convection cooling will play a market niche on the HTPC arena.

I for one have big huge mono-amps, an LP, and a beta machine...and firmly believe all those items are as good or superior to what we have currently, but as you know the MASSES (for good or bad) are what the market caters too. Try to find a new LP or good Beta machine now-a-days.

Not saying that I agree with digital amplifier technology, but it's coming and will be in home HTPC's near you one day (probably in your own home). For me I'll probably still have my big bulky Mac amps with all the dials and meters for me to stare at.