DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Where's the 5.1 Sound from HDTV?

Old 07-21-02, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Where's the 5.1 Sound from HDTV?

I have a 55" Diamond Series Mitsubishi HD ready monitor and a Samsung SIR-T151 receiver for OTA HD. I set the Samsung receiver output to Dolby (there are only 2 choices: Dolby or PCM), and I connected it to my Kenwood A/V receiver with a fiber optic cable. The Samsung manual clearly states that it can output 5.1 Dolby Digital. The Kenwood can handle 5.1 Dolby Digital and works fine with my DVD player. However, I have yet to hear any HD programs in 5.1 Dolby Digital. Is it the equipment, the connections, or have I simply sampled programs that are all broadcast in 2.0 Dolby Digital only? So far, the only HD shows I've seen are CSI, The Tonight Show, Everybody Loves Raymond, Becker, and The King of Queens. Are none of these shows in 5.1?
Old 07-21-02, 04:12 PM

The only program that broadcasted in 5.1 was the Winter Olympics, as far as I know. It depends on your city too, here in Phx, most programs are in Dolby Digital (AC-3), but not 5.1.

Btw, CBS has no HD broadcasting at all in Phoenix.
Old 07-21-02, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I believe HBO and some other premium cable channels broadcast some films in 5.1 if you've got digital cable or sattelite. If you don't, then you get 2.0 like everyone else.
Old 07-21-02, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by egbok
The only program that broadcasted in 5.1 was the Winter Olympics, as far as I know. It depends on your city too, here in Phx, most programs are in Dolby Digital (AC-3), but not 5.1.

Egbok I live in Gilbert and it is really DD 2.0. Also, if you have a WS TV the picture does not fill the screen. When the Dbacks are on the left and the right part of the screen there is about 1-2 inches that is left black. Now I have a 61 inch tv and that is what I have noticed.
Old 07-21-02, 11:36 PM

Originally posted by TheKobra

Egbok I live in Gilbert and it is really DD 2.0. Also, if you have a WS TV the picture does not fill the screen. When the Dbacks are on the left and the right part of the screen there is about 1-2 inches that is left black. Now I have a 61 inch tv and that is what I have noticed.
It was DD 2.0 here in Phoenix, but the program was in DD 5.1, also the Olympic was in 16X9.

Originally posted by TheKobra

Also, if you have a WS TV the picture does not fill the screen. When the Dbacks are on the left and the right part of the screen there is about 1-2 inches that is left black. Now I have a 61 inch tv and that is what I have noticed.

Channel 12 does that with all non HD broadcast.
Old 07-22-02, 09:58 AM
steak

I think some of the ABC programming is in 720P 5.1. I don't know for sure because the DC ABC is not passing the HD signal yet.

Old 07-22-02, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by steak
I think some of the ABC programming is in 720P 5.1. I don't know for sure because the DC ABC is not passing the HD signal yet.
Yes, most of the HD programs on ABC are DD5.1, but your local ABC affiliate also needs a 5.1 encoder to pass the feed.
Old 07-24-02, 09:11 AM
Banned

Originally posted by egbok

AC-3 is the same as 5.1
Old 07-24-02, 01:34 PM

All of showtime is in 5.1 now, and most of HBO too.
Old 07-24-02, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by SINGLE104

AC-3 is the same as 5.1
well, technically that's not true. AC-3 encoded audio can have up to 5.1 discrete channels, but does not always. for instance, DVD's with mono soundtracks have AC-3 (dolby digital) encoded audio, but only one channel.