DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Question about anamorphic (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/223887-question-about-anamorphic.html)

wordtoyamotha 07-20-02 05:26 PM

Question about anamorphic

O.K., I've got a question for you dvdtalkers that's been bugging me for a while. How high end of a system does one need in order to see a dramatic difference in anamorphic vs. non-anamorphic disks?

I currently have a standard size (non-widescreen) Sony Vega t.v. that I am very satisfied with and I use an S-Video connection from my dvd player. I always buy widescreen and prefer OAR but as far as anamorphic, I can honestly say that I cannot tell the difference.

Eventually I would like to upgrade to a large widescreen set designed for watching movies. I've seen a lot of people on this site put a tremendous amount of importance on whether or not a disk is anamorphic. Is the difference really amplified with a large set? Should I stop buying non-anamorphic?

Thanks in advance.

MODS: Please feel free to move post to correct forum

Rypro 525 07-20-02 05:29 PM

if you have very good vision, a big tv, or componet, you can kind of tell the difference between the two. unless, you would be annoyed by black bars on the side, top and bottom of the tv, you dont need to stop buying non anamorphic.

codefree 07-20-02 06:06 PM

Yes, stop buying nonanamorphic since you state that you plan on buying a 16:9 TV someday. Anamorphic discs look great on widescreen TVs! I haven't bought a nonanamorphic disc in nearly 2 years.

Holly E. Ordway 07-20-02 06:10 PM

With a 53" widescreen set, I notice a big difference between anamorphic and non-anamorphic transfers.

It's not the only important element of video quality -- a bad transfer is a bad transfer, anamorphic or not -- but it's important enough that it's a must-have-or-I-don't-buy-it feature (*), and my non-anamorphic titles are on a "replace when a SE comes out" list.

* The obvious exception being films whose original aspect ratio is not widescreen.

VHS? 07-20-02 06:14 PM

Learn it all right -------> HERE
The Ultimate Guide to Anamorphic Widescreen DVD (for Dummies!)
Thats what its called and I,having bought a widescreen TV,have learned a thing or two from this site.
Hope it helps you as well ;)

Young Vito 07-20-02 06:30 PM

Originally posted by VHS?
Learn it all right -------> HERE
The Ultimate Guide to Anamorphic Widescreen DVD (for Dummies!)
Thats what its called and I,having bought a widescreen TV,have learned a thing or two from this site.
Hope it helps you as well ;)

Thanks a million...REALLY HELPFUL LINK!!!:thumbsup:

Rypro 525 07-20-02 06:30 PM

if i decide to buy a regular 4x3 hdtv, will i notice a difference between anamorphic and non anamorphic.

VHS? 07-20-02 06:37 PM

Look --------> HERE and --------> HERE for your answers :)
Fast answer if you don't feel like clicking,,,,,,,no,not really.

Static Cling 07-20-02 07:13 PM

Moving to Hardware.

JBabbitt 07-24-02 01:50 PM

I have a 65" Mistu Diamond widescreen. I will not by a non-anamorphic disc unless it is the only thing available.