DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

best $150 DVD player?

Old 07-20-02, 02:07 PM

best $150 DVD player?

would like to get one with MP3 capability and a universal remote. If not a specific model, can you suggest a good brand? I said I would buy a player when they got under $500 (which I did a few years ago....was an early adopter), but don't want to spend as much now.
Old 07-23-02, 08:05 PM

don't guess you get much help around here if you don't have $1000 to spend on a player...what a bunch of arseholes.
Old 07-23-02, 08:41 PM

Best what?

Build quality?
Deinterlacing?
Decoding?
Audio?

Do you have a preference between better video based or film based deinterlacing quality?

Are you sensitive to mpeg noise?

What kind of display are you driving?
Old 07-23-02, 09:13 PM

gota, I appreciate your attempt to help even though I don't understand most of what you asked. For $150, I'm looking for mp3 capability, S-video out and good picture quality for my standard 36" Toshiba. I've got a pretty good home theater setup with a Denon Dolby digital 5.1 receiver and Klipsch speakers, but I'm looking for decent if not spectacular DVD performance until I can upgrade my display. I assumed for $150 my options would be limited to just a couple of players.
Old 07-23-02, 10:24 PM

If you have a standard TV (non-HDTV), then all you need is a player with a reasonably good decoder with interlaced output.

The Sony DVP-NS315 is a pretty good basic player.

You have CD, CDR, CDRW, DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW, VCD, XVCD, MP3, MP3 ID Tag, and WMA compatibility. It also has a "multibrand" remote, though I'm not too sure how good it is.

Here it is in black:

Etronics, $129.99 plus ship

and in silver:

Etronics, $129.99 plus ship
Old 07-23-02, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by shaggnasty
don't guess you get much help around here if you don't have $1000 to spend on a player...what a bunch of arseholes.
Nah, you don't tend to get much help from someone you just called an 'arsehole'.
Clean up your attitude and maybe you'll get more responses in the future.
Old 07-23-02, 11:44 PM

DVD O' Dumbass, I put my original post up on the 20th...still had no responses by the 23rd which prompted my "arsehole" post. Gotapex's first post was AFTER this one. His second post was most helpful and told me exactly what I needed to know and I'm guessing he sensed my frustration. You, on the other hand, have proven yourself to be both stupid, unhelpful and an arsehole. Have a nice day. BTW, thanks Gota for your help.
Old 07-24-02, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

shaggnasty,

Please read the forum rules and think about whether or not you fit in to this forum. Name-calling is not allowed. Making personal attacks is not allowed.

I'm leaving your comments as they are and closing this thread so it can stand as an example of how not to make a good first impression.