DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Need TV Advice

Old 07-17-02, 09:59 AM
Cool New Member

Need TV Advice

Hello all.

I am about to purchase a 36" TV and I need some help. Eventually I will be purchasing a surround sound system to hook up to it, and I don't know what I need my TV to have to hook this up to.
I don't understand how many S-Video inputs or A/V inputs/outputs that my TV should have to eventually hook it up to surround sound, a DVD player, a VCR, and a Playstation 2.
Can anybody help me in figuring this out. Obviously by my question, you can tell I don't know much about this and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-17-02, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well you really only need 1 input to your TV in theory.

Most new TV's especially ones in that size most likely have three different types of input. Composite, S-Video and Component.

What you will need will depend on how many video sources you intend to have.

If you are setting up a full home theater you can run some or even all of the video through a receiver that does video switching and connect one input from your receiver.

Personally I have 6 video sources. I run my DVD player straight to the TV however because I do not want to compromise picture quality.

Here are the inputs on the back of a Sony 36 XBR TV.

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...B450&display=L

Good luck
Old 07-17-02, 10:09 AM

Your TV will need audio output jacks so that you can watch normal TV in Dolby Pro Logic. One thing you need to consider is if you want them to be at line level, or adjustable by the TV's volume control. I have had three TV's since I went to surround sound.

My first TV was a cheap 31" GE. It only put out sound that was adjusted by the TV's volume control.

My second TV was a 32" Sony Wega. You could ajust from the menu rather or not the jacks put out line level, or adjusted.

My third TV is a Toshiba 43h71. It has two sets of jacks. One is for line level. The other is volume adjusted.

Line level is a better choice for sound quality. However, if you have a wife, you need to pick the one that is less confusing for her.
Old 07-19-02, 01:41 AM

You also need to think about what your friends think. You will want to have the most impressive system you can get, that way you can have people over to watch DVDs and college football. Don't forget to also make sure that whatever you get fits into your entertainment console. Will Say Anything be the first DVD you watch on it?
Old 07-19-02, 02:41 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks for the advice gentlemen.

Fife, I'm not quite sure if you helped me or not but thanks for reminding me I have no friends. Maybe Say Anything will be the first thing I watch, probably not though cause it makes me cry like a little school girl.

Anyway, thanks again all.

-Arm Farm
Old 07-19-02, 03:23 PM
Uber Member

Originally posted by horatiodude
Your TV will need audio output jacks so that you can watch normal TV in Dolby Pro Logic. ....
This can depend on how you get your TV signal.

If you have cable you're probably having it go through the VCR so you can record it. If this is the case, you'll be able to use the video switching ability you'll probably have on your new receiver and just have the VCR's video out going to the receiver, along with the video for the DVD player and the game console.

This way, when you want to watch TV/VCR or DVD or play a game, you just press a button on your receiver and it will automatically switch the video and audio to the correct device.

For now, though, you'll want to make sure you get a TV that has at least 3 video inputs (for the VCR, DVD and the PS2).

One thing to keep in mind with receiver end video switching is that most of them will only work with a single type of video input. In other words, the devices you hook up have to ALL be connected to the same type of video connection: ie. all composite, or all s-video, or all component.

If you get a TV with component inputs, and especially if you get a TV with Progressive capabilities, you may end up connecting your DVD player directly to your TV, and use video switching for the VCR and the PS2.

You might also want to check out the FAQ thread at the top of this forum's thread listing. Here's a direct link: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=165672

Good luck and have fun testing out TVs.

-David
Old 07-19-02, 03:27 PM

Originally posted by Arm Farm

Fife, I'm not quite sure if you helped me or not but thanks for reminding me I have no friends. Maybe Say Anything will be the first thing I watch, probably not though cause it makes me cry like a little school girl.

Anyway, thanks again all.

-Arm Farm
Sorry to hear that! Maybe watching Say Anything isn't such a good idea after all. How about Willy Wonka? That's always a classic. And if you want, I'll sacrifice a day and come out to the Farm of Arms and watch something on your new TV.