DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Are you into Widescreen TV's ? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/222192-you-into-widescreen-tvs.html)

just4me 07-13-02 10:16 AM

Are you into Widescreen TV's ?

I'm just wondering since most of the DVD Releases are in Widescreen format but actually do many people use Widescreen TV's with Apect Ratio of 16:9 ?

Jadzia 07-13-02 10:27 AM

You don't need a widescreen TV to watch a widescreen DVD.

djones6746 07-13-02 10:34 AM

I currently have a 4:3 53" Sony but will be selling this around the beginning of the year for $600.00 and buying a Sony 51" Widescreen TV. :)

I am doing this for two reasons.....to upgrade to HDTV and to have the ability to view my dvds in their enhanced mode(anamorphic). I will also purchase a progressive scan dvd player. :)

just4me 07-13-02 10:36 AM

Originally posted by Jadzia
You don't need a widescreen TV to watch a widescreen DVD.
I understand that my friend. I was just wondering whether many people uses a widescreen TV or not as these kind of TV's are usually difficult to get and not many shops have them on stock.

Besides that I was told by some one that watching a Widescreen DVD on a Widescreen TV would look and feel better than the usual TV. Is that true ?

djones6746 07-13-02 10:41 AM

Originally posted by just4me

I understand that my friend. I was just wondering whether many people uses a widescreen TV or not as these kind of TV's are usually difficult to get and not many shops have them on stock.

Besides that I was told by some one that watching a Widescreen DVD on a Widescreen TV would look and feel better than the usual TV. Is that true ?

As is my understanding regarding anamorphic dvds or as most Warner titles read "Enhanced for 16X9 TVs". Add to this......a progressive scan player connected to a High Definition TV. :)

just4me 07-13-02 10:42 AM

Originally posted by djones6746
I currently have a 4:3 53" Sony but will be selling this around the beginning of the year for $600.00 and buying a Sony 51" Widescreen TV. :)

I am doing this for two reasons.....to upgrade to HDTV and to have the ability to view my dvds in their enhanced mode(anamorphic). I will also purchase a progressive scan dvd player. :)

51" TV's are usually Projection TV's right ?

I've read in several reviews that Tube TV's gives a much sharper picture than that of Projection TV's. Does anyone knows the facts behind it ?

jim_cook87 07-13-02 10:43 AM

I've had a Mitsubishi 55" widescreen since January of this year. Absolutely love it. Watching DVD's on it is very noticably better than a regular TV. Add a progressive scan DVD player and the picture is stunning. Friends jaws hit the floor when they see how crisp and clear the picture is. One of the first things everyone notices is that there are no noticable scan line so the image is nearly film like. In fact three of my friends, after seeing my TV, ran out and bought widescreens of their own.

Admittedly everything is not crystal clear on a widescreen HDTV, regular cable or TV signals are not high quality and the big screen amplifies the flaws and a DVD with low quality video transfer will have its problems amplified as well. But if you want to have the best in home movie experience widescreen HDTV is the answer.

just4me 07-13-02 10:49 AM

Originally posted by djones6746

As is my understanding regarding anamorphic dvds or as most Warner titles read "Enhanced for 16X9 TVs". Add to this......a progressive scan player connected to a High Definition TV. :)

I got your point but HDTV are mostly available in 4:3 formats so I don't understand why the manufaturers don't sell the 16:9 TV's as much as the 4:3 ones. The availability of the 16:9 TV's are very-very limited so I don't understand how they will create a market for these kinds of TV's if it's hard to get. Compared to them the newer Plasma TV's are more readily available every where.

RalphWiggum 07-13-02 10:54 AM

I got the 47" Panny widescreen 3 months ago and love it. It is true that cable does not look too good on an HDTV, but DVD's look absolutely great. If you are interested in a good TV for DVD and HDTV, then widescreen is wonderful.

just4me 07-13-02 10:55 AM

Originally posted by jim_cook87
I've had a Mitsubishi 55" widescreen since January of this year. Absolutely love it. Watching DVD's on it is very noticably better than a regular TV. Add a progressive scan DVD player and the picture is stunning. Friends jaws hit the floor when they see how crisp and clear the picture is. One of the first things everyone notices is that there are no noticable scan line so the image is nearly film like. In fact three of my friends, after seeing my TV, ran out and bought widescreens of their own.

Admittedly everything is not crystal clear on a widescreen HDTV, regular cable or TV signals are not high quality and the big screen amplifies the flaws and a DVD with low quality video transfer will have its problems amplified as well. But if you want to have the best in home movie experience widescreen HDTV is the answer.

OK, but have you tried to compare it with a 36" (Tube) Widescreen HDTV or a 50" Plasma TV and saw the differences ? Frankly speaking I've not had the chance to do that but many people informed me that quality would be better on a Tube TV but the Drawbacks is that Tube TV's doesn't go upto 50".

Geofferson 07-13-02 10:58 AM

Currently enjoying a 55" Mitsu 16:9. :up:

otmetrud 07-13-02 11:01 AM

Originally posted by just4me

51" TV's are usually Projection TV's right ?

I've read in several reviews that Tube TV's gives a much sharper picture than that of Projection TV's. Does anyone knows the facts behind it ?

Tube TVs cannot be larger than 40 inches. And yes, a tube's picture is sharper than a projection TV's.

just4me 07-13-02 11:06 AM

Originally posted by otmetrud

Tube TVs cannot be larger than 40 inches. And yes, a tube's picture is sharper than a projection TV's.

What about Plasma TV's are they any good compared to the Tubes ones ?

I feel that if I was given a choice between a Projection TV and a Tube TV of the same size I would go for the Tube ones.

Holly E. Ordway 07-13-02 11:08 AM

I have a 53-inch Mitusbishi widescreen TV, have had it for about two years now, and I *love* it. I watched movies in widescreen on my little 21-inch 4:3 TV before, and it was OK, but getting the big-screen widescreen TV made the home theater into a true home THEATER. It was a bit of a splurge, but it has certainly paid for itself many times over with how much my husband and I enjoy watching DVDs on it.

milo bloom 07-13-02 11:14 AM

I would be if my heart didn't stop everytime I saw the pricetag. I'm currently fine with my 25" 4x3.

just4me 07-13-02 11:15 AM

Originally posted by ordway
I have a 53-inch Mitusbishi widescreen TV, have had it for about two years now, and I *love* it. I watched movies in widescreen on my little 21-inch 4:3 TV before, and it was OK, but getting the big-screen widescreen TV made the home theater into a true home THEATER. It was a bit of a splurge, but it has certainly paid for itself many times over with how much my husband and I enjoy watching DVDs on it.
I agree with you that in regards to TV's "Size Does Matter" there's no question about that. The question is the picture sharper on the Tube TV's compared to Projection TV's of the same sizes and why is the Widescreen TV's not so popular as the regular ones considering widescreens have been around for a while now but the market hasn't performed as good as people initially thought.

Please kindly give your thoughts about this.

Rainet 07-13-02 11:47 AM

I'm thinking of taking the plunge. Could someone tell me (on average) what's the lowest cost of a great widescreen HDTV WITHOUT ruining quality?

Iron_Giant 07-13-02 11:51 AM

I have a 27 inch TV. A year from now I am hoping for the price to drop on a 36 inch widescreen HDTV. Right now the cost is about 2k, I am hoping the price will fall to about $1200.00. If the price does not fall, I am going to buy a 36 inch Sony for about $750.00.

djones6746 07-13-02 11:54 AM

Originally posted by Rainet
I'm thinking of taking the plunge. Could someone tell me (on average) what's the lowest cost of a great widescreen HDTV WITHOUT ruining quality?
http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=...t=24&scat=1470

Will be looking to purchase this Sony by the end of the year.......should be around $1999 by then(actually has been on sale for that price) along with a preferred customer coupon. I am very happy with the last Sony I purchased 4 1/2 years ago....will be selling this to a friend for $600.00 and picking up the widescreen. :)

madcougar 07-13-02 12:12 PM

I have a 60" Magnavox right now that I got on sale at a ridiculously low price. I would love to get a widescreen tv, but they are just too expensive. Ironically, my neighbors bought a very nice HD widescreen tv about six months ago, but have no interest in getting a DVD player.

djones6746 07-13-02 12:18 PM

Originally posted by madcougar
I have a 60" Magnavox right now that I got on sale at a ridiculously low price. I would love to get a widescreen tv, but they are just too expensive. Ironically, my neighbors bought a very nice HD widescreen tv about six months ago, but have no interest in getting a DVD player.
Prices are coming down quick.......I originally paid $1600 for my 53" Sony which was a good price considering they were usually selling for $1999($1899 on sale).

There is a Panasonic widescreen which I have seen for no more than $1799 and the Sony I am looking at which is currently $2299(has been on sale for $1999). I would not say widescreen TVS are too expensive. :)

karnblack 07-13-02 12:28 PM

I have the Toshiba 34" Widescreen HDTV. It's a tube and it's awsome. My living room is not big enough to support a RPTV, but I think I would be okay with the quality as you don't sit as close to it as a tube.

The picture quality is so awsome that when I play DVDs it brings tears of joy to my eyes. Toy Story 2 and Final Fantasy are the two movies I like to demo on my system. I have a Yamaha receiver and B&W speakers for sound and a progressive scan DVD player for video.

You have to realize that it's nearly impossible to find a RPTV as small as the largest tube TV so it will be very hard to compare them at the same sizes.

djones6746 07-13-02 12:30 PM

Originally posted by karnblack
I have the Toshiba 34" Widescreen HDTV. It's a tube and it's awsome. My living room is not big enough to support a RPTV, but I think I would be okay with the quality as you don't sit as close to it as a tube.

The picture quality is so awsome that when I play DVDs it brings tears of joy to my eyes. Toy Story 2 and Final Fantasy are the two movies I like to demo on my system. I have a Yamaha receiver and B&W speakers for sound and a progressive scan DVD player for video.

You have to realize that it's nearly impossible to find a RPTV as small as the largest tube TV so it will be very hard to compare them at the same sizes.

My problem with the Tubes is that they are running way too high in price for the size. How much did you pay for this? :)

louiseb 07-13-02 12:37 PM

Originally posted by Geofferson
Currently enjoying a 55" Mitsu 16:9. :up:
Same here. Also get several HD channels

just4me 07-13-02 01:05 PM

I really don't think that price is the only factor for this as I've noticed that many people still prefer the Standard 4:3 TV's rather than the 16:9 TV's and manufacturers seems to offer more choices on the 4:3 TV's compared to the 16:9 TV's.

I've also noticed that the peak for the sales of 16:9 TV's happened between 1995-1997 where almost every shops carry the 16:9 TV's but now days it seems that it's dying out or fading away. The shop owners claims that most customers prefer the standard 4:3 TV's rather than the 16:9 ones with the ratio of 1:100,000 even if they are priced the same.

Does this mean that sooner or later the manufacturer will stop making widescreen TV's as it's no longer economical to do so ?