DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

I Want a NEW DVD PLAYER! Help me pick one!

Old 07-12-02, 11:01 AM

I Want a NEW DVD PLAYER! Help me pick one!

I am currently using a Panasonic RV-30 DVD player. I've been using it for about 2 years and have played 100's of dvds and rentals perfectly on it. I plan on giving it to a cousin soon for his 9th Birthday because I want to upgrade to a player with more features. I am mainly looking for a good player for under $200 with the same if not better picture and CD player quality of my RV30. I would also love a player that can play CD-Rs, CD-RWs, VCDs, SVCDs. As a bonus I wold really love it to play MPEGs (well), JPEGS slide shows, DVD-Audio would be great, DVD-R, DVD-RW/RW+ for the future. I hear some APEXs can do most of this stuff, but is that quality comparable to that of my Panasonic? I also need it to have an optical digital audio out and at least RCA/Composite AND Component video outputs. Can you guys help me out? Any review or links to review would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-12-02, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Seems like I've seen bad things about Apex products, and here's a fairly recent review of one of their DVD players that has JPEG-viewing ability:

http://www.techtv.com/products/print...375336,00.html

As you can see, not so good.

Here's a PC World review of a $179 (list) Sampo dvd player that can play JPEGs through an incorporated CF slot:

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...d,90663,00.asp

Here's another review (IGN) of the Sampo player that seems to indcate it will play JPEGs from either CF card OR disc:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/316126p1.html

I really don't know much about Sampo, but these are 2 well-know sources giving the 631 pretty good reviews. Might be worth looking into. I couldn't find any DVD player on the BEst Buy site that said specifically it could display JPEGs, although a few of them will play Kodak Picture CDs. Anybody know if that means they'll play JPEGs from any disc? Good luck in your search.
Old 07-12-02, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm picking up the Panasonic RP62S on Monday - finally puttin' my old A110 out to pasture. Check out this link to Crutchfield (they have very good photos and decent info):

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...VRP62S&o=m&a=0

This model doesn't have DVD-Audio, but it's got virtually everything else at this great price point ($179):

MP3 and WMA playback (the best I've seen - I tested it with two discs I ripped and it read every track, even those with more than one period in the filename!)
Zoom feature
Time elapsed bar (a la TiVo)
5 disc stop memory (usually you only have one)
Cinema viewing options
Progressive scan (via component outputs)
Slim body style

Check it out!
Old 07-12-02, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by RockyMtnBri
I'm picking up the Panasonic RP62S on Monday - finally puttin' my old A110 out to pasture. Check out this link to Crutchfield (they have very good photos and decent info):

http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...VRP62S&o=m&a=0

This model doesn't have DVD-Audio, but it's got virtually everything else at this great price point ($179):

MP3 and WMA playback (the best I've seen - I tested it with two discs I ripped and it read every track, even those with more than one period in the filename!)
Zoom feature
Time elapsed bar (a la TiVo)
5 disc stop memory (usually you only have one)
Cinema viewing options
Progressive scan (via component outputs)
Slim body style

Check it out!
That's the exact model I had planned to recommend, but when I looked it up to verify features it didn't look like it could view JPEGs. Can it? I'd like to know for future reference
Old 07-12-02, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You know, I flipped thru the manual and I think it can, but I'll verify this before Monday.
Old 07-14-02, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I picked up the player yesterday - it does not handle JPEGs, but it does a great job at everything else!!! I confused this player with a JVC in the same price range (I think it's model 500 or something) which DOES handle JPEGs. I went with the Panasonic because it read my "MP3 torture" disc completely. The JVC couldn't even read it!
Old 07-14-02, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Panasonic RP62 is very nice player. If you are willing to wait a couple weeks and spend around 220 shipped, you can get the Panasonic RP82 from JandR (must call for price). This unit does DVD-Audio, and from the spec sheet will convert non-anamorphic sources to 16:9 like the RP-91. I am going to pick one up myself. looks like the budget player to beat.

J
Old 07-14-02, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The Panasonic RP62 and RP82 sound like great players. Does anyone know if they use the same Sage chip as the RP56?
Old 07-15-02, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Check out the RP82 - if I had known about this on Saturday I would've gotten it instead. I'm gonna return my RP62 tomorrow and get it instead.
Old 07-15-02, 03:12 PM

Thanks for all the great advice. after careful consideration, I have decided to either go with the Panasonic RP62 or RP82. DVD playback quality is the most important thing to me, all others come second. I do not want or need DVD-Audio. MP3 playback is nice, although I already port my computer audio out to my receiver. So if I do get mp3 playback as a feature on the dvd player, I want it to be able to play it well. DVD-RAM is interesting, as is all that DVD-R and DVD-RW stuff, since that is just over the horizon after CD-Rs.

Also of note, I have come to cherish the quality ergonomics of my Panasonic RV30. I love its ability to very quickly load dvds and also its ability to play even very badly scratched rental discs, which I hear is a problem of many other players in the same price range. I am staying with the Panasonic brand because of that.
Old 07-15-02, 03:17 PM

hmm. the RV32 is looking good, too! using Crutchfield.com's comparison feature, the RP62 only has zoom and progressive scan capabilities over the RV32. I don't thinik i need progressive scan output since I don't see myself getting an HDTV for a LONG while...at least 5 to 10years out. I do however see myself upgrading to a nice Digital TV tho, namely a nice VVega or even that nice budget Akai! zoom is a non factor too.

Now, my only concern is, where is the CHEAPEST i can find the RV32 and RP62?
Old 07-15-02, 03:26 PM

On the side, what are the best budget players that also play MPEG video and/or JPEG slideshows?
Old 07-15-02, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by CuriousGeorge

Now, my only concern is, where is the CHEAPEST i can find the RV32 and RP62?
www.buydig.com has the RV32 for $128 and the RP62 for $165.
Old 07-15-02, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

BTW, I picked up the RP82 and it is worth the extra $50!!!!
Old 07-18-02, 09:33 AM
Cool New Member

Just a little warning on the rp82. I've read some reviews from an early adopter over on avsforum and he said it does not do scaling of non-anamorphic dvd's despite what the spec's say.

Just an FYI.
Old 07-18-02, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mrmurdstone
Just a little warning on the rp82. I've read some reviews from an early adopter over on avsforum and he said it does not do scaling of non-anamorphic dvd's despite what the spec's say.

Just an FYI.
This is what I have heard as well...

Anyone with a RP 82 that can confirm?