DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD & Home Theater Gear (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear-5/)
-   -   Problem with Digital Coaxial Audio (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-home-theater-gear/220502-problem-digital-coaxial-audio.html)

HistoryProf 07-06-02 07:15 PM

Problem with Digital Coaxial Audio

I finally upgraded my receiver, getting a Pioneer VSX-D711 - which was the best I could do for the money. I still have an old tv though, so I'm using an RF modulator to run the dvd player video to the tv. My question is this: I forked out forty bucks for a digital coaxial audio cable in order to run audio from the dvd to the receiver and at least have the best audio possible even if video is still basic. However, No matter how many times i tried to set the dvd setting to digital, I couldn't get sound at all...but when i went ahead and connected the composite audio to the receiver dvd settings, it came out fine in 5.1. Anyone out there that can help me with this before i just return the coax cable? It would be nice to be able to have dts and all that jazz...but if plain ole stereo is all i'm gonna get for now then i guess that's it.

Oh, and I still have a generic player, so i'm wondering if they just aren't compatible or something....is digital audio universal?

Kevlar 07-06-02 10:00 PM

For my receiver to decode I have to set its input to 5.1DD or 5.1DTS. You also need to make sure you have the correct audio setup from the dvd player.

I also don't know what composite audio is. If you mean your left and right stereo rca cables then I would not route them to the receiver at all. The digital cable should be the only thing from the dvd player to the receiver. Send the analog stereo cables to the tv set if you ever want to use the tv speakers without the receiver.

If your TV has an audio output you can route that back to the receiver on the 'tv' input. That way you can watch tv/cable/satelite/vcr/whatever and listen to it in surround mode.

Again, set the receiver to the correct input, set the dvd to the proper output and everything should work fine.

And I would definately return that cable even if you get it to work. A 40 dollar cable is not going to give you any better sound than a 10 dollar cable across those distances.

HistoryProf 07-07-02 11:40 AM

Duh....I never thought to check the player set up...i'm sure that's the problem right there.

As for the cable, I thought it seemed high, and I think the CC employees scammed me a bit. They had a more generic looking digital cable that looked the same for 15 bucks, but I was told that 'wouldn't work' for no particular reason - hence the forty dollar monster cable. I'll be taking it back.

thanks for assisting the newbie :)

darkside 07-07-02 12:36 PM

Originally posted by bgills
Duh....I never thought to check the player set up...i'm sure that's the problem right there.

As for the cable, I thought it seemed high, and I think the CC employees scammed me a bit. They had a more generic looking digital cable that looked the same for 15 bucks, but I was told that 'wouldn't work' for no particular reason - hence the forty dollar monster cable. I'll be taking it back.

thanks for assisting the newbie :)

Monster Digital cable is the biggest scam in the world and it sucks they got you on it. A digital signal either makes it or it doesn't. Better cable will not improve the sound a bit as with an analog signal. Any cheap digital audio cable will sound exactly the same. It really doesn't matter if you use coaxial or optical either if your player and receiver will except both. Some only except one or the other though.

HistoryProf 07-07-02 10:33 PM

Originally posted by darkside

Monster Digital cable is the biggest scam in the world and it sucks they got you on it. A digital signal either makes it or it doesn't. Better cable will not improve the sound a bit as with an analog signal. Any cheap digital audio cable will sound exactly the same. It really doesn't matter if you use coaxial or optical either if your player and receiver will except both. Some only except one or the other though.

Yeah...i took it back and got my money back fortunately - and of course went next door to ABC Wherehouse and got a $10 Acoustic Research cable :) I've been patronizing CC for a while now, but this one kind of burns me...i'll surely look elsewhere for my accesories from now on - and avoid Monster ripoffs.

As for the original problem, it was the dvd setting, which is now rectified - thanks for the help! :D

Leon Liew 07-08-02 06:02 AM

Hi bgills, glad that you have finally solved your audio problems. One thing I am puzzled
about is and to quote : "I still have an old TV though, so I'm using an RF modulator to run
dvd player video to my tv"

The RF modulator mentioned, is it a stand alone unit for demodulating AC-3 bitstream
from laserdics ? Normally a composite or S-video cable is required to run from dvd player to
TV for video. Just curious and no offence.

DigIt 07-08-02 10:29 AM

RF Modulator

HistoryProf 07-08-02 11:51 AM

Originally posted by Leon Liew
The RF modulator mentioned, is it a stand alone unit for demodulating AC-3 bitstream
from laserdics ? Normally a composite or S-video cable is required to run from dvd player to
TV for video. Just curious and no offence.

the Recoton link above is fairly similar, although I got Philips/Magnavox modulator from Walmart that has four channels to in put - so DVD, VHS, and Video games can all go through the one unit - it's a nice unit, and was only $34.98.

As for the S-video, it does have inputs for that, but I figured that running s-video to the modulator wouldn't matter much, since it still has to go through the old fashioned coaxial cable to the tv. Am I wrong on that? So i've just got the composite video/audio going in that now, with the digital audio also running to the receiver. It works for now - until I can get a better tv that is :D

Oh, and no offence taken :)

TheKobra 07-08-02 03:40 PM

Originally posted by darkside

This is not true. If you have a high end setup cables make a big difference. If its Monster cable or Tara Labs there is a big difference. One thing that several people miss when they get a new receiver is the AC cord. They usually give you a cheap ass AC cord. If you purchase a high end cord or even make one yourself you will see a big difference. Just my thoughts.

Leon Liew 07-08-02 06:27 PM

Thanks for the info bgills it certainly helped me to know more about your RF modulator.

I agree with TheKobra. Good cables certainly make great differences to one's HT system.
My system is all wired up with Monster Cables.